*Attention Washington State Woodcutters*

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone here direct me to a good place to cut homeowner firewood near the Washington/Idaho boarder? I am looking for forest access and would possibly be interested in Permit type access to forest land. I have checked many maps and local forestry websites, most are vague on firewood instruction. If you live near this area I would appreciate any help. Thanks

I grew up in the Spokane area, went to school in Medical Lake and did some logging north and in northern Idaho. I do not have any specific information as to where to cut firewood but give the local DNR, (Department of Natural Recourses) a call at 509-323-2900 and ask about firewood permits. They will be able to provide locations of state timber sales, logged areas where you can go in and glean the remaining wood for firewood.
Hope this helps.

I am SE Wa. Used to cut wood in the mountains above Laird park (out of Potlatch, ID) years ago. Permits were available at the forest service office in Potlatch. Was good cutting back then (standing dead Tamarack) but I think that has all been cleaned out now.

Harry K

Good advice from both gents above. I got the majority of my first year's firewood from DNR land. Just be aware that there are different regulations for state and federal land. State slash is free, but from what I understand, the FS charges for what you take. You buy a permit for $XX/cord you take. That's been discussed a long while back, the differences between what the FS charges and what you're allowed to take. State land is much more hassle free.

Jeff

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate the good feedback so far. I will probably call the DNR people and find out what the deal is with wood cutting in my area. I live in Spokane and have found that very little DNR land exists nearby. Almost every chunk of acreage is privately owned. I have talked to some of the locals who claim that the local paper mill property issues permits for firewood. Usually people are lazy and don't get the permits and just start cutting on the paper company's property without hassle. Obviously I want to do things legal and make sure i'm positive on who's land i'm cutting on. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back