atv skidding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Tractor...I have a 1600 wish I had the 1700 since that has 4wd. Put a loader on that tractor and carry the rounds up in that. The front weight a loader provides would allow you to skid up that hill with your tractor.

Skidded logs are hell on saw chains.
+1 on that. I usually only do it when there's a good snow on the ground. In this photo from last fall I was trying to beat the rain getting logs out of a swampy section.

I usually just lift the log off the ground a bit with the winch and drag 10-15 ft sections(depending how large they are) out in reverse. Quick and easy, but I'm on flat ground and only have to drag mine a short distance.

Skidded logs are hell on saw chains.

It's hell on bandsaw bands too! But, I found a cure!

standard.jpg

That cleans them right up! :)

SR

It's hell on bandsaw bands too! But, I found a cure!

That cleans them right up! :)

SR

That's exactly what I was going to do with the four foot diameter oak stub in my yard, break out the pressure washer. That thing liked to kill a chain just making the bucking cuts. I have most of the bark axed off now, let it get rained on, but that didn't do it, so gonna try the pressure washer.

There's one obvious big bolt in it I will take out, then run the metal detector over it. It's an old yard tree, bound to be more metal in it.

"High volume" water really does a number on dirt and everything else stuck to, or in the bark!

SR

"High volume" water really does a number on dirt and everything else stuck to, or in the bark!

SR

This is true.

I've washed and milled stumps and a pressure washer was a good tool, but a 1 1/2" line running 100psi or more was a really fast way to clean a stump. Then move in with the pressure washer to blast out any leftover rocks or packed in clay, one last hit with the fire hose and they were as clean as you could get them, big stumps would be ready in a 1/2 hour or less. Just a pressure washer by itself could take several hours, but that still beat a garden hose.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back