Auto cycle valve? Where and how much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS-310

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Where can I get an Auto Cycle valve at. What happens if what yout spliting is to much for the motor-pump.... how does it stop the cycle? What happens if you want to stop the cycle thanks alot guys.

Kinda seems like a nice thing but is it useful?

tawilson

tawilson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here's where I got mine. Lot's of phone support and Don's on here quite a bit giving free advice.
http://www.cylinderservices.net/catalog.asp?prodid=503880&showprevnext=1
To use it, you push both handles forward till they lock in the detente position. When fully extended or when it hits the relief setting, one handle will pop back letting the other take over to retract the cylinder. I think. It's natural when using it, I might be describing it wrong. Yes it is useful. Like having an extra person, but safer. You know what the valve is going to do.

Last edited:
CylinderService

CylinderService

ArboristSite Operative
Autocycle Valve

Thanks, Tom, I appreciate it!

To answer part of the original question: The autocycle valve will run through the whole cycle by itself, but you can manually push the handles into neutral any time you want.
I know a lot of people are using these, but I personally prefer the single-detent standard logsplitter valve for safety reasons. On the extension stroke, you only have to let go to make it stop.
We had one guy come with his hand all bandaged up from putting his hand on the end of the log and then pushing the handle the wrong way. He almost lost 4 fingers before he realized his mistake. It was 10 years ago, but I can still see him standing at our counter!

Don

ckr74

ckr74

ArboristSite Operative
That set-up sounds really dangerous to me. Just too easy to become laxed. I knew a guy years ago that lost 2 fingers on that type set-up. Tractor set-up on 3pt. Only takes about a second to snip a finger.

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have thought about these...

In fact, I still ponder the idea. I have given thoughts to ways to do it with some creative linkage and springs/latches.

Standard valve is okay for some machines, safer that way.
Double detent is workable, but more dangerous.

-Pat

tawilson

tawilson

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't think it's any more hazardous than running a chainsaw. If you don't pay attention to what you're doing, or do something stupid, you may end up being called "Lefty".