Automatic Chain Grinder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We have a number of threads on chain grinders, as well as other methods of sharpening saw chain. I recently saw an announcement for a new Oregon Automatic Chain Grinder, so I thought it would be good to start a thread just collecting information and experiences using these automatic/robotic type grinders for reference.

Oregon - announced at 2015 GIE and shown in the first minute of this YouTube Video:

Franzen
http://www.franzen-maschinen.de/45.0.html?&L=1

DinaSaw T-Rex
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...s/Dinasaw-T-Rex-Automatic-Chain-Sharpener.axd

Logosol Chain Sharpening Robot
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...n-Grinders/Logosol-Chain-Sharpening-Robot.axd

Logosol Combi Automatic Chain Grinder
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ers/Logosol-Combi-Automatic-Chain-Grinder.axd

Markusson

Philbert

Thanks - added that link to the first post (but you get the credit!).

That may be a good sign that versions are sold by several vendors. To me, it suggests that it works; that parts/support will be available from multiple sources; competition to keep pricing reasonable.

Philbert

Howdy,
I'm pretty sure Markusson has something to do with the Logosol Robot grinder. I don't remember if they designed it, or build it exclusively for Logosol. We are hoping to have the Dinasaw line in stock by the end of the year. It's getting on the next container of mills out of AU.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks Gregg. You may be the perfect person to answer this: any thoughts why the Dinasaw auto grinders use the CBN wheels, and the others use conventional grinding wheels?

Philbert

Howdy,
I'm pretty sure Markusson has something to do with the Logosol Robot grinder. I don't remember if they designed it, or build it exclusively for Logosol. We are hoping to have the Dinasaw line in stock by the end of the year. It's getting on the next container of mills out of AU.
Regards
Gregg
One opinion does not a robust review make, but when I was looking into Dinasaw grinders some time ago, the NZ customer they suggested I contact was less than complimentary. After many troubles they had shelved it. I never got to the bottom of whether or not it was the nut behind the wheel.

That said, their grinding wheels are supposed to be good.

Howdy,
I've done quite a bit of work on them over the years I don't think I ever did a real live warranty. Most of things that got covered were more for customer relations. These things aren't the space shuttle but, you do have to know how to eat with a knife & fork if you're going to work on them. There has been many times where people start adjusting things to see what happens, and before they know it they've got it out of whack. If we can't get it straightened back out over the phone, we just have it sent here to dial it back in. I know this wouldn't help you where you're at. With the cost of the machine, I would think they could just send to the factory in AU for the once over. ABN wheels are good stuff.
Regards
Gregg

Are any of these auto-grinders capable of a square grind and not just round grind? If not, I wonder how close to it could a suitably profiled wheel get on these? Anyone tried?

Do the others sense the cutter hand (L or R) like the Dinasaw ones do? I mean, it's not exactly automatic if you have to watch it like a hawk in case there are two left or right cutters one after the other.

Are any of these auto-grinders capable of a square grind and not just round grind? If not, I wonder how close to it could a suitably profiled wheel get on these? Anyone tried?

Do the others sense the cutter hand (L or R) like the Dinasaw ones do? I mean, it's not exactly automatic if you have to watch it like a hawk in case there are two left or right cutters one after the other.
The Franzen senses the cutters, worked good in that regard.

Every now and then would freak out and do a weird chop, the wheel would shatter, would butcher a chain.
But that was 10 years ago, maybe they have the kinks worked out. Of course Mr. Franzen would stop by at that shop,
as it was in Louisville, and he attends the Expo every year.
It was kind of awkward, as the shop bought the grinder through Stens, but the shop rarely buys any parts from them.

Doesn't the third photo in post #3 appear to be grinding with the side of the wheel and way too deep into the gullet?

I have never seen one of these grinders in action . If a shop around here had one it would be worth the few bucks to spend on a chain just to watch one these robot grinders . It is almost like cheap entertainment.

Give these machines another decade on the market and they will be more common place or maybe we won't need them as saw chain will be replaced by lasers.

If a shop around here had one it would be worth the few bucks to spend on a chain just to watch one these robot grinders . It is almost like cheap entertainment.
If I had a shop I would seriously consider setting one up in a storefront window, or behind a Lexan shield, put up some not-too-expensive coffee, . . .
Write it off as advertising / promotion.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back