Awesome deal on Cleveland craigslist for firewood!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here's the actual ad:

Seasoned HARD Firewood - $80 (Lorain County & Cuyahoga)
Date: 2009-08-25, 8:39AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Seasoned real hardwood for heating your home or garage. $80/cord and can deliver for a charge. Call 440.822.0728

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I called him to confirm the price and of course it was in error...off by about another $120 - $140 including delivery charges. Blamed the wife on this one hehehe:hmm3grin2orange:!!

I doubt it was an error. That ad looks the same as the ones in northern Michigan except the price is usually $45-$60 per "cord." Unfortunately most sellers don't give you the courtesy of mentioning that it's a 1/3 cord, "face" cord, or "rick." I believe that due to the economic down-turn there are a lot of people unfamiliar with firewood trying to make a buck selling it. It also seems to be a Michigan/Northern Wisconsin (now leaking into Ohio) thing with the standards of measurement and terminology. Asking the seller for the volume of wood never hurts. A good seller or logger knows how many cu. ft. he is selling and it helps insure you against the "cord" seller that comes with a half full short box pick-up truck bed.

I doubt it was an error. That ad looks the same as the ones in northern Michigan except the price is usually $45-$60 per "cord." Unfortunately most sellers don't give you the courtesy of mentioning that it's a 1/3 cord, "face" cord, or "rick." I believe that due to the economic down-turn there are a lot of people unfamiliar with firewood trying to make a buck selling it. It also seems to be a Michigan/Northern Wisconsin (now leaking into Ohio) thing with the standards of measurement and terminology. Asking the seller for the volume of wood never hurts. A good seller or logger knows how many cu. ft. he is selling and it helps insure you against the "cord" seller that comes with a half full short box pick-up truck bed.

I even had a guy try to tell me he had 2 face cord in a shortbox, not even stacked,LOL.

anywhere from 60 to 120 a "face" cord around Milwaukee. Best one is Seasoned oak cut and split to your dimensions $600/cord, delivery extra outside a 10 or was it 15 mile radius $35. One just listed a face cord as 4x4x8 at 75 per, but to be fair he did show a picture of a face sized stack.

I must be doing something wrong! Those are some crazy prices for sure. I am selling a friend of mine 6 loads for 60$ per load. I have a standard pick up bed, so the measurements are 7.5ftx5.5ftx2ft roughly, which equals 82.5 cu.ft and a little heaped on top for good measure to get close or over 85 cu.ft which is just about 2/3rds of a cord. So, 6 loads=4 cords +/-. That means that one cord is 90$ if I am getting 360$ for 6 loads. That much math hurts my head!
Anyway, I think I am doing good considering that last winter, with so many out of work and selling wood, I was only getting 45 per load at the auction. Since I split most of the wood by hand the only costs are 2mix, gas, diesel fuel to get there and haul and my time. I figure about 10$ per load for my costs. So 50 is the take home, and if I have 2 hrs. in one load/ cut, split, haul ect. then that is still 25 and hour. Not bad. It never seems like you make much money cutting wood though, after all the b.s. a guy has to endure it seems like a nice load should be worth 100$!!! JJ

are 7.5ftx5.5ftx2ft roughly, which equals 82.5 cu.ft and a little heaped on top for good measure to get close or over 85 cu.ft which is just about 2/3rds of a cord

Stacked or piled?

A cord is stacked and well ranked -- i.e. as tight as practical without being anal over it.

Latest posts

Back