Axes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That video of Tom Clark was made well before I met him in the late 90s'. Tom passed away 4-5 years ago and left a huge hole in the balcksmithing community, not only here in Missouri, but world wide. He was on Riply's Believe it or Not, splitting wood. The man was amazing with an ax. He had a very successful blacksmithing school and tool business, imported his own power hammers, tongs and made his own line of forging hammers... Also the largest firewood business I've ever seen. At 70+ years old he could out work anybody half his age! The day I helped him split and load a cord for delivery with a Super Split changed the way I viewed splitting wood. It was almost 10 years later before I could afford one, but I never forgot that day!

I just tried the double bit ax technique. First try I grabbed a sycamore round (probably not a good choice) and I got the ax stuck so bad I had to go get a hammer to tap it out. Then I tried some nobby red oak limbs, and I was pretty impressed. I'm sure my technique is lacking. I'm double sure my ax needs improvement. I'm definately going to work on this. Why have I never even heard of someone splitting with a double bit ax before? I thought those things were just for grubbing stumps.

After watching the videos and looking at my poor neglected axe I need to sharpen it and clean the rust off as soon as I finish repairing the tannerite rocket launcher but that is another story.

John

My BIL splits with a double bit axe, he's very good with it. He splits at least 10 cord a year, has a hydro that sets year after year, has stale gas and it and I doubt it would even start now. I've never known another person to use one.

Looking at the Clark videos,

It looks as if he hits the wood at an angle closer to 15 degrees off vertical. After contact the angle is closer to 30.

His ax looks like he was trying to replicate the action of a heavy double bit.

I never met him but have heard many folks speak of him with admiration.

I knew Tom Clark personally. He's the one who turned me onto Super Split mechanical splitters. Huge firewood operation he had and I've never seen a person with so much energy.

You're very lucky, I would love to have met that man. I just made my wife watch that video, "see, I'm not the only one dear".

Does anyone have and use a double bit axe to work in firewood?

I use mine for splitting kindling...better balance than a single bit and more mass than a hatchet. growing up in the PNW, I learned they were for felling (well, the notch anyway), and we had one that hung on the back fender of the tractor. I used to limb trees with it while dad started bucking...ever limb a white fir?...nuthin' but limbs, limbs, and more limbs...oh, and pitch pockets. tamarack is where it's at... sorry, reminiscing.

Not much if you know about the twist.

now I have something else to learn...things sure are different this side of the rockies

I have done the match trick before.....

I remember when you did that zogger...well done

That guy is awesome!
Is it possible to buy one of those axes?

I'd love one, butI've never seen one for sale and I'm constantly monitoring e-bay for axes. The idea seems pretty simple; a sharp axe with a heavy poll to help the axe twist once it penetrates. There is a type of axe called a rafting axe that has a big hardened poll that should perform pretty well for the "twist method". I'm not sure anyone still produces rafting axes but they are common on the bay.

That guy is awesome!
Is it possible to buy one of those axes?

You can buy one of these from an AS member, who invented them.

KIRVES: Heikki Vipukirves

Id like to try one, very interesting design and they look like they work well.

Basically, same idea as a wrist twist, but the axe does it with prescision every time, takes downward force and moves it sideways just when it is needed.

I've got an old asymmetrical maul head that's like a poor mans' Lever-Axe

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

You can buy one of these from an AS member, who invented them.

KIRVES: Heikki Vipukirves

Id like to try one, very interesting design and they look like they work well.

Basically, same idea as a wrist twist, but the axe does it with prescision every time, takes downward force and moves it sideways just when it is needed.

Looks interesting, but $200 for an axe?!:msp_scared:

Looks interesting, but $200 for an axe?!:msp_scared:

Ya, sorta slowed me down too. Stuff costs in euroland. They make good pay, but everything there seems to cost a lot.

Id just like to try one, then decide. Heck, Id like to try out all the high end various brand axes.

When you think about it though, just processing wood, 200 for a saw is about nothing, that will get ya a used home renters saw or a new entry level small saw, meh,, so..if it really worked well, could be worth it. I just dont know, like to try it in the wood I have, various species.

I've got an old asymmetrical maul head that's like a poor mans' Lever-Axe

Now that is interesting as well. Was it made that way, or did it get ground down on one side?

Yes it was made that way, I've actually got a couple of them. I don't know the maker or date of manufacture. I haven't hung either head yet so I don't know how they perform.

Latest posts

Back