Axmen starts with Hendrix playing a Dylan song, and it seems to fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
West coast millions of acres of forest:

California 23.7
Oregon 28.8
Washington 21.3

total 78.8 million acres of forest

How about you add Alaska to that list.

Alaska 127.38

East coast millions of acres of forest:

Maine 12.8
New Hampshire 4.8
Vermont 4.6
Massachusetts 3.1
Connecticut 1.9
New York 18.4
Pennsylvania 16.6
Maryland 2.6
Delaware 0.4
Virginia 15.8
North Carolina 18.3
South Carolina 12.4
Georgia 24.4
Florida 14.7
Kentucky 11.9
Tennessee 14.4

total 177.1 million acres of forest

We win!!

I think you seriously need a geography lesson.
Kentucky and Tennessee are not the east coast.

California 23.7
Oregon 28.8
Washington 21.3

total 78.8 million acres of forest

---------------------------

Maine 12.8
New Hampshire 4.8
Vermont 4.6
Massachusetts 3.1
Connecticut 1.9
New York 18.4
Pennsylvania 16.6
Maryland 2.6
Delaware 0.4
Virginia 15.8
North Carolina 18.3
South Carolina 12.4
Georgia 24.4
Florida 14.7
Kentucky 11.9
Tennessee 14.4

total 177.1 million acres of forest

We win!!

Ya forgot ALASKA 127 million+78.8 million=205 million and don't say it don't count cause a lotta local go up an cut there. WE WIN. Idaho and Western Montana are also considerd part of the PNW

Last edited:
Golog#### What I was talking about was weekend jobs which is the only time loggers actually "clear cut" land out here. That's the only reason I brought that up. Maybe we pick up a sunday odd jobs for extra money off the clock, where some land owner wants some private land cleared for whatever reason, and some of us might get together and clear a few acres for them. Like a ski slope wanted some new trails and we cleared about 10 acres for them, and sometimes home builders call us to clear building sites for them, as odd jobs. We will take maybe 3 guys, one skidder, and a triaxle and do maybe an acre a day clearcut. I only brought it up so you can see what is involved in clearcutting forests in NY. Monday thru Friday I pull logs off NY State owned land and haul them to a paper company, and we never do anything but the big trees. My company owns 3 skidders and one buncher, 3 triaxles, I have 3 crews and an office. I was trying to educate you on a thing or two since you obviously don't know anything about logging, you obviously failed geography in school too since you say there are no forests out here. Now we all can see you are an moron because not only do you know nothing about hardwood logging, you actually don't even know we have forests out here. Nice 3rd grade teacher you must have had. The west has a few patches of forest between all the deserts, maybe some logs on mountain tops where it's not all desert, but the east is all forest.

I see no reason to end this flame war since it's so much fun.

Your turn glogo####

Okay...you have forests out there. Thanks for clearing that up.
I'm impressed, really. All hail the mighty eastern forests. How many trees per acre on that hardwood second growth? And how many years on a reprod cycle?
Speaking of clearing...you say you're doing an acre a day on clearcut? Wow. What are you cutting with, fingernail scissors? What's your skidder, a riding lawnmower? An acre a day? You must be charging by the hour. Is that how landscapers get paid out there?
Hey, I'm not trying to belittle or insult you...you obviously take yourself very seriously. I don't think anybody else does, though.
If you ever get a chance to get out here maybe some of the guys will take you around and show you what loggings is. I guarantee you'll see more than an acre a day get clearcut. I don't want you on my job, though. You don't listen good.

Bring it.

Last edited:
Well this is entertaining. I am sitting here eating ther perfect meal. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The bread from my wife here in CT, the peanut butter from Georgia, and the Jelly from California. They seem to go perfect here...

Of course, none of the ingrediants grow on trees, so I guess it doesn't help. But this is still fun.

Jason

Last edited:
OK I'm gonna answer your scholarly questions in green because that's the color of our forests yours are mostly brown. This is gonna be fun. /COLOR]

Okay...you have forests out there. Thanks for clearing that up. I've impressed, really. All hail the mighty eastern forests. How many trees per acre on that hardwood second growth? About 100 for every tree you have. I've been out west you have maybe 100 trees per acre we have many thousands. Our forest is deep jungle compared to yours. The average guy here is cutting maybe 2 trees a minute and that includes limbing the poles for the ones they are going to skid up to the truck. The trees are usually 70 feet tall in the secondary growth woods, up to 120 in the older woods. In southern NY they have tuliptrees that grow to 190 feet but we don't have them up here. And how many years on a reprod cycle?If the land is easy to get to we go in every 30 years or so and take anything over 12 inches maybe but prefer over 15 inches
Speaking of clearing...you say you're doing an acre a day on clearcut? Wow.As I said we have 100 times more trees per acre than you have What are you cutting with, fingernail scissors? Personally all J-red and Husky until this year I'm going Stihl for the first time, my guys all have their own sawsWhat's your skidder, a riding lawnmower? 3 John Deers and 1 old Timberjack my father gave me 30 years ago,An acre a day? Yeah an acre is good that includes everything, trucking out the logs, another truck for the poles to the firewood guy, and pile up the tops, saplings, brush, piled up to burnYou must be charging by the hour. Is that how landscapers get paid out there?
Hey, I'm not trying to belittle or insult you...you obviously take yourself very seriously. I don't think anybody else does, though.Good one I was hoping something more clever
If you ever get a chance to get out here maybe some of the guys will take you around and show you what loggings is.You come out here, we usually log in the snow, and the snow is usually 3 feet deep by mid winter, we dig down to get the tree, and the temperature up here in the winter ranges from -10 and goes down to -30 often, never above +10 in the winter I guarantee you'll see more than an acre a day get clearcut. Yeah, you have 100 trees per acre, and no undergrowthI don't want you on my job, though. You don't listen good.OK Mister Trump

Bring it.Your turn
Plus, our wood is a lot harder and a lot heavier. It's nothing to log pine they are as light as balsa wood, I saw them hoist whole trees up cable lines, you ever try doing that with oak it's 3 times denser than your pansy-azz western wood. And your wood is so soft a butter knife can cut through it, it takes longer to cut through hardwood like oak and maple although it still doesn't take much time with a good saw.

_______

Last edited:
Ya forgot ALASKA 127 million+78.8 million=205 million and don't say it don't count cause a lotta local go up an cut there. WE WIN. Idaho and Western Montana are also considerd part of the PNW

OK I will subtract Kentucky and Tennessee and add Idaho and Montana

California 23.7
Oregon 28.8
Washington 21.3
Idaho 23.5
Montana 22.5

total 124.8 million acres of forest

Maine 12.8
New Hampshire 4.8
Vermont 4.6
Massachusetts 3.1
Connecticut 1.9
New York 18.4
Pennsylvania 16.6
Maryland 2.6
Delaware 0.4
Virginia 15.8
North Carolina 18.3
South Carolina 12.4
Georgia 24.4
Florida 14.7
New Jersey 1.9
Rhode Island 0.4

total 153.1 million acres of forest

We still win!!

Last edited:
OK I will subtract Kentucky and Tennessee and add Idaho and Montana

California 23.7
Oregon 28.8
Washington 21.3
Idaho 23.5
Montana 22.5

total 124.8 million acres of forest

Maine 12.8
New Hampshire 4.8
Vermont 4.6
Massachusetts 3.1
Connecticut 1.9
New York 18.4
Pennsylvania 16.6
Maryland 2.6
Delaware 0.4
Virginia 15.8
North Carolina 18.3
South Carolina 12.4
Georgia 24.4
Florida 14.7
Kentucky 11.9
Tennessee 14.4

total 150.8 million acres of forest

We still win!!

You sure do. It is really a shame Ax wasn't filmed in Delaware or maybe Maryland. Instead of those unbalanced big Stihls and Husqvarnas the loggers could have been using Wildthings or Poulans. A 16" bar and .325 chain is the choice of real loggers.

You sure do. It is really a shame Ax wasn't filmed in Delaware or maybe Maryland. Instead of those unbalanced big Stihls and Husqvarnas the loggers could have been using Wildthings or Poulans. A 16" bar and .325 chain is the choice of real loggers.
Ya still forgot Alaska its on the coast.

Last edited:
I dont care if ya clear cut or not out there. Just wanted to present that before I asked my question. With all the rain and steep slopes how do you keep the topsoil in place after you clear cut? Keep in mind Im twelve feet tall and all muscle and if ya mouth off at me Ill come out there cloud up and rain down all over ya.

Yes it happens, usually its the roads that give us problems. Poor road design, plugged culverts contibute to the problem! You outta see the creeks when it rains the first time after a burn! Burning usually promotes growth (grass, thistles, weeds, etc.) that help anchor the soil. Besides, there's always debris left after a burn that helps erosion control! If your so big and tough, save us the BS, and yourself a really long trip and go to the 'Daks and thump forrest gump!

Ain't worth it Bob!:mad:

You're right...it's not. Did you notice something, though? In his last post ol Jugheadjack was actually civil and stated his case without threats or cussing? I was impressed...quite a change from his previous posts.

It just goes to show you that even landscapers who think they're loggers can contribute something positive to the forum. Even if most of it is wrong.

He probably should give it a rest though. He must have a lot of work to do...sharpening the pruning shears, getting the machetes ready for the big timber...you know...real logger stuff. That acre a day jungle cutting can just flat wear you out. :cheers: Bob

You might cut better if you don't let your wife use your butter knives in the kitchen it might cut your soft balsa wood trees out west better.

Right on.

I like the show. I quess I have it easy cutting firewood in MI.
When I was a teen I lived In Sprucewood CO. Dad cut firewood for a
living. WOW,, I was breathing hard in those elevations at 15 and 16.hehe
Have not been there in 25 years , but did get a refresher just hauling a 7lbs rifle in north west Montana last year.. ( breathing hard ). I didnt do too bad. Though I was in good shape too. Thought wrong.
Let alone hustling over too the next mountain and back with a saw... Hard workers for sure.
Best wishes there feller's. May you all stay in good health and no injuries!!!

Oh and Have Fun.

Around here in the Gulf coast area, not many saws are used anymore sadly. Loggers down here use tree harvesters. trees aren't even touch by human hands. harvester cuts and lays down, skidder draggs them out. then they go through a machine that tops them with a hydraulic saw. rips the limbs off and loads them. Only saw on the job is probbly in the log truck to trim the limbs that didn't get ripped. Sad ain't it. Oh yea how did a TV show turn this into a eastcoast westcoast fued!!!!!!!

Back