back cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of tree service individuals telling you all about felling. Your best bet to learn how to fell is go talk with a professional faller, logger or forest service.

there are just as many loggers who don't have a clue also so just talk with true professionals be that tree service or logger.

A well versed faller with wedges a falling axe and saw can drop trees into very tight areas as I am sure you have seen.

try relying on wedge with this tree :)
badone_001.jpg

I find many trees being climbed that do not need to or rope guided instead of wedged properly (very risky shock loading a rope without a wedge backing it up). If you have learned how to fell properly by people who do it for a living then you know how to do it the right way from size up to dropping it right on target.

well how do you shock load with static load applied that's a new one in my book. Felling in areas where damage or loss of life and property is much safer with use or rope or cable and pull applied.

Last edited:
Banging wedges into structurally compromised trees could become a hit or miss proposition. I enjoy an adrenalin rush, but I prefer to end a job without having to submit an insurance claim caused by preventable carelessness. Been there, done that. Some memories don't seem to fade away with time, like the first girl I dated, my first dog, the first (and only) house I crunched, etc. Which in itself is weird cause it seems that half the time I go down the stairs to the basement to get something, I forget what I'm supposed to get.

There are a lot of tree service individuals telling you all about felling. Your best bet to learn how to fell is go talk with a professional faller, logger or forest service.

A well versed faller with wedges a falling axe and saw can drop trees into very tight areas as I am sure you have seen.

I find many trees being climbed that do not need to or rope guided instead of wedged properly (very risky shock loading a rope without a wedge backing it up). If you have learned how to fell properly by people who do it for a living then you know how to do it the right way from size up to dropping it right on target.

I guess this is the part where we get all bent out of shape. Is that how this game works? I will take a logger who fells trees on a regular basis teaching over a tree service individual. You can not argue with experience. That is a nice looking tree for a bucket. And yes when your tree does not go where it is intended the rope is shock loaded.

So what is next? The part where you tell me I don't know s..t? If you are insecure that loggers fell more trees than tree service personnel on a regular basis maybe you are in the wrong line of work. You really should open up your mind a little.

Cheers and be safe.

Ohh for god sakes! do we need murph to weigh in on this coversation and show you all how its done:hmm3grin2orange:

I guess this is the part where we get all bent out of shape. Is that how this game works? I will take a logger who fells trees on a regular basis teaching over a tree service individual. You can not argue with experience. That is a nice looking tree for a bucket. And yes when your tree does not go where it is intended the rope is shock loaded.
So what is next? The part where you tell me I don't know s..t? If you are insecure that loggers fell more trees than...

Respectfully, I think if a logger's wedging fails to send the tree between the goal posts, he may hang up the tree, or cross his lead. This business of "shock loading" has me intrigued however.

Respectfully, I think if a logger's wedging fails to send the tree between the goal posts, he may hang up the tree, or cross his lead. This business of "shock loading" has me intrigued however.

What if.. What if... What if...

If you hang the tree, cut a tree that is so rotten etc. etc. etc. Then you have failed the first step in felling. Which is sizing up your tree.

What if.. What if... What if...

If you hang the tree, cut a tree that is so rotten etc. etc. etc. Then you have failed the first step in felling. Which is sizing up your tree.

I think, er, thought that hazards like snags, widowmakers, and hung up trees are the first things that are supposed to be dealt with. Which goes to show how little I know about logging, lol.
Pretty sure though that I've never "shock loaded" a tree by pulling one over with a vehicle or winch. Once had a skidder operator get a too ambitious before I got a backcut completed (( a level backcut)) on a leaner which caused a long rope to become two shorter ones. That was a shocker. Ended up climbing it again (had topped it) to re-attach a line. Bit of sadness, but it ended ok.

So what is next? The part where you tell me I don't know s..t? If you are insecure that loggers fell more trees than tree service personnel on a regular basis maybe you are in the wrong line of work. You really should open up your mind a little.

Cheers and be safe.

Ha ha ha u so funny what u fail to recognize is, not all tree services are the same just like some loggers are not the same. I must tell u I'm absolutely certain in 30 years of felling trees near homes and powerlines I'm well versed in felling. I will also conclude that not many loggers have felled more than I near such real property.
Having cleared new right of way and being a danger tree expert for power lines I have been put in the situations few loggers have skills to handle. Your the one that needs mind opening the tree in that pic has back lean 25 degrees toward home a wedge and axe would be suicide. By the way the bucket could not safely reach the 36 foot limbs live hanging over that home so I fell it. Do you understand shock load? Static is static and my trees go where I want them to!

badone_007.jpg

badone_005.jpg

badone_004.jpg

Ha ha ha u so funny what u fail to recognize is, not all tree services are the same just like some loggers are not the same. I must tell u I'm absolutely certain in 30 years of felling trees near homes and powerlines I'm well versed in felling. I will also conclude that not many loggers have felled more than I near such real property.
Having cleared new right of way and being a danger tree expert for power lines I have been put in the situations few loggers have skills to handle. Your the one that needs mind opening the tree in that pic has back lean 25 degrees toward home a wedge and axe would be suicide. By the way the bucket could not safely reach the 36 foot limbs live hanging over that home so I fell it. Do you understand shock load? Static is static and my trees go where I want them to!

Congratulations :clap:

i'm so damn confused :dizzy:

I'm still trying to figure out how by simply using a wedge makes it ok to shock load a rope?
then I come to this dilemma of why do you have to shock load the rope to pull a tree over?

Hard to fathom how gradual tension carefully applied to a rope prior to felling could shock load anything. Maybe if you leave lots of slack in the rope, and then take off like a Scud missile after doing a brake stand? That has potential to be exciting, but not gonna add that to my repetoire.
Have hammered wedges in some trees and watched them shiver & convulse with each tap. This "shock loading" business re. pulling a tree over is a red herring or a bunch of malarky, imo.

Hard to fathom how gradual tension carefully applied to a rope prior to felling could shock load anything. Maybe if you leave lots of slack in the rope, and then take off like a Scud missile after doing a brake stand? That has potential to be exciting, but not gonna add that to my repetoire.
Have hammered wedges in some trees and watched them shiver & convulse with each tap. This "shock loading" business re. pulling a tree over is a red herring or a bunch of malarky, imo.

Pulling a tree over is just another tool in the toolbox. With the proper skills and equipment it is comparable to jacking over a tree on a logging job. It doesn't happen everyday but it does happen. Same goes for using a crane (common) or a helicopter (less common).

Latest posts

Back