bacterial leaf scorch killing oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Disturbing news...
Any suggestions... I've got 3 fairly stresses red/black oaks in my backyard that are hugely important to keep the house and yard shaded and cool.

God Bless All,
Daniel

Dual threats scorching life out of oaks
A disease is killing 39% in N.J., a survey says.
The Pa. rate may be 30%. Drought has worsened the impact.
Kaitlin Gurney INQUIRER SUBURBAN STAFF
From the azalea garden at the Philadelphia Museum of Art to Moorestown's stately tree-lined streets, a mysterious scourge known as bacterial leaf scorch is spreading through the region's oak population, dooming the shade trees to a slow death.
Four years of drought conditions have exacerbated the effects of leaf scorch, making this an excruciating year for the region's trees, according to area experts.
The incurable insect-borne disease, which has decimated main streets and city parks from the Carolinas to Connecticut, first hit Southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey in the late 1980s. The mottled brown leaves that characterize the disease mar fall foliage and leave homeowners with the choice of pricey antibiotic treatments to stave off a tree's death or even more expensive uprooting.
In an effort to determine the severity of the disease, the New Jersey Forest Service tested 1,372 oaks throughout the Garden State last year. The results released this month showed that 533 oaks, or 39 percent of those tested, were infected. More than half of the infected trees were in South Jersey, the study showed.
While Pennsylvania has yet to quantify the impact on its oaks, local arborists estimate that 20 percent to 30 percent of the red, pin and black oaks in the area are dying of the disease. Marilyn Romenesko, who cares for the azalea garden at the Art Museum for a program of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, said all the red oaks and many of the black oaks at the ornamental garden had been infected.
Oaks have been a particular concern for Moorestown, where the disease was first detected in New Jersey. Many of the 300 trees removed in the township in the last three years have been afflicted with bacterial leaf scorch.
"When you start to look for it, you'll realize this disease is everywhere," said Ann Gould, a plant pathologist at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J. "Oaks all over the region are in a slow pattern of decline."
Researchers say this is the latest plague to affect the region's beleaguered and drought-stricken forests, which have suffered chestnut blight and Dutch elm disease in recent decades. But unlike those two quick-killing diseases, bacterial leaf scorch sometimes takes 10 years to kill a tree.
The disease is most visible in early fall, when characteristic yellow and red bands divide the brown tips of the leaves from their green centers.
Leafhoppers, treehoppers and spittlebugs spread Xylella fastidiosa, the bacterium that causes leaf scorch, when they feed on tree leaves, but scientists are unsure exactly which species are responsible for the transmission. Insecticides are ineffective, they say.
As the bacteria multiply, they clog more of the veins that transport water to the tree's branches, causing whole sections of the tree to wither.
Other shade trees, such as sycamores, elms, maples and sweet gums, may also come down with bacterial leaf scorch. White oaks, which have rounded leaves, are less susceptible to the disease than red oaks and their pointy leaves, Romenesko said.
The only salve for an infected tree is temporary and expensive - an injection of the antibiotic oxytetracycline. The treatment will kill the bacteria and halt the disease's course for about a year, when the treatment is required again.
An antibiotic injection for a 60-year-old tree with a three-foot diameter costs about $250, said Ken LeRoy, an arborist with McFarland Tree & Landscape Services in the Germantown section of Philadelphia.
That treatment is cost-prohibitive for sites such as the University of Pennsylvania's Morris Arboretum in Northwest Philadelphia, which has 13,000 plants on its 170 acres, according to the arboretum's horticulture director, Anthony Aiello. Watering, mulching and pruning affected trees also stave off the effects of the disease, he said.
Removal of a dying, 60-year-old oak costs about $2,000, LeRoy said.
Leaf scorch "is here to stay," he said. "The trees need to learn to live with it, or they're going to be dying of it."
Because the symptoms of bacterial leaf scorch are similar to that of general drought stress, researchers caution homeowners to have their trees tested for the disease before they embark on the expensive antibiotic treatments, said Jerome Frecon, the agricultural agent in Gloucester County.
"If you see part of the tree that's brown, that's likely leaf scorch. But if a tree is uniformly brown, the leaves have probably just withered from the drought," he said.
Some arborists, such as Hal Rosner of Bartlett Tree Experts in Bala Cynwyd, said the number of trees dying this year was overwhelming - and depressing.
But LeRoy said it was important to replant and keep the urban forest growing.
"We've been dealt some terrible blows, but it's important to keep planting," he said. "Smaller trees, like dogwoods or pears, just don't have the effect of a towering oak or a maple."
Contact Kaitlin Gurney at 856-779-3910 or [email protected].

I think the loss of minor/trace elements that our urban forest does not have.

Dense turfgrass monocultures that suck up most of the water and nutrients. High N fertilization. Leaves branches and all other natural detritus of a hardwood forest. Loss of associate and associative plants. Regular maintinance with heavy wheeled vehicals...

There's a principle element I like to call root cause, and it's not
necessarily an out of control bacillus. Drought is relative, as areas
reporting normal precip also have die-backs. Distressed hosts is an
excellent starting point, but to simplify the prognosis and blame moisture
is rediculous and misleading. I expect much more from "experts" than a
simplistic throwing-in-the-towel consensus that "oh my God this weather is
killing our trees!"

Let's skip thru the crap from American plant pathologists and go to
bacteriology which is sourced from virology. First of all nothing short of
electron microscopy can positively identify the minute-sized (0.20-0.2 x 1-3
microgram) bacteria which generally is 1,000 to 10,000 times smaller than
most pathogenic bacillus strains. Cultivating extracts on media can only be
done at certain labs using exacting media prep standards. Many of the lab
reports I've read are sloppy estimates based on false-negatives while
looking for other suspected germs. These are gram negative cells and do not
stain for observation, the same property that allows them to keep from being
effected by high dose anti-biotic treatments yet all of America's experts
are advocating just that. Spend $300 on tetra, oxi, or para sized
"ointments" and you've just succeeded at mutating the DNA that dictates the
disease's future virulance factors. We're spending money on making the
disease worse, exactly like oakwilt, exactly like war with Iraq.

JPS is adding (from what I gather) that stress factors such as urban
specimens or landscape trees are unique in susceptability, which is true.
Factors such as soil compaction, macroelement restrictions from air quality
indexes, salt use, nitric acids, herbicide (biocides) use all play a vital
role in predisposing hosts to infection, or for a better term, inability to
manage infection. Viral origins, not leafhopping insects dictate virulance
and movement as we blame bugs for this growing epidemic, never looking
towards what common factors spittlebugs and leafhoppers have in common aside
from being found with trace supplies of the crap on their bodies. Ground
cover. Grasses.
Let's nuke the insects and that'll fix it?

I have a little something up my sleeve that maybe you could try. M at U of Mo might think about this although the powers that be will label you nuts (but hey, what's life all about eh?).

Recent genetic studies confirm that hydrogen peroxide is a
signalling molecule in plants that mediates responses to biotic
stresses. Signalling roles for hydrogen peroxide during
abscisic-acid-mediated stomatal closure, auxin-regulated root gravitropism and tolerance of oxygen deprivation are now evident. The synthesis and action of hydrogen peroxide appear to be linked to those of nitric oxide without the dissication or toxic build-up effects.
Downstream signalling events that are modulated by hydrogen peroxide include calcium mobilization, protein phosphorylation and gene expression. I liken the effect to a railroad crossing signal informing us that a friggin' train's coming so we modify our behavior accordingly lest we end-up as pink mush inside a squished tin can.

When we open capillary vessels from a razor blade we drench in peroxide - it's a bit better yet a far different approach to bacterial killing than neomycin - it upsets transpiration then life in germ metabolism, kind of a "holistic" approach opposed to a nuking, yet more effective. On contact.

I'm not advocating a soil drench and responsibilities go beyond a quick fix - the rhizosphere needs tending to and repair and it's not done with Scotts or Miracle-Grow. We're introducing a signalling mechanism by increasing a detectably constant and necessary element. In effect we're a repeater tower on a hilltop to help a radio signal on a few more miles down the road. Vascular plugging can't allow signalling elements thru, we have to assist the tree's learned response to blocking disease and allow for a necessary metabolic reaction. WE're helping here.

Micro injection technology as we know it here sucks. Mauget is no silver bullet for delivery, especially when they're loaded with insecticide and a broad-scale fungicide. It takes high pressure in dormant season to load a vascular system, but our treatment is less than .5 ml per tree.

Lethal yellowing in palms and streptococcus in humans is like a fart smelling the same as the fuel we cook our steaks over.

Neosporin is applied to a cut. A bandaid is put over that. That's Civil War technology of sulphur on an amputation, and the same as chemotherapy for blood-borne cancers. Works some of the time but not always (what they heck, doctor's get paid either way).

Humans (like trees) have become weaklings. Instead of stimulation of resistance or reaction to pathogenic threat, we nuke the invader and experience the reactive fallout. Anti-biotic introduction to palms or oaks 'cause a diagnosed bacterial infection lays waste kills more beneficial activity than we intend pricisely because plant science refuses to accept the fact that these little bugs number as a necessary element to life itself. WE inadvertantly modify and stimulate a resistive response in the disease itself then ring the alarms of more money needed to address further exacerbated problems from our own narrow-minded insistance that as PhD's we know it all. We only know what's been taught, refusing to step one foot further.

We only recently realized that a CD22 mutation results in proliferative disease of Tcell origin, yet we STILL administer the very same tumor toxic agent that causes that mutation. Duh. And any attempt to address the abberation from alternative medical knowledge is outlawed. God bless America and it's chemical company interests.

The real threat is not the bacteria, it's the advocated treatments and the minds it comes from - who incedently are the experts we turn to when all hell breaks loose.

Try peroxide. I use a developed high pressure injection technique from Australia. I will be violating my state law if I name names or go into detail (more experts in the kitchen). But I can relay this - wound the tree to expose zylem. Several times and pour it directly into the cut. Low reaches, mid height, and canopy. Don't tell anyone until many attempts and months later, please. And you didn't get it from here. I'm just offering something someone told me about one time long ago.

Questions I'm sure. Answers as I have time deal?

Hydrogen Peroxide...
Reminds me of oxygen therapies I read about as an alternative therapy for cancer, AIDS etc...
So food grade, 35%, or brown bottle drug store, ~3%?
Thanks Reed.
We'll talk offline.
God Bless,
Daniel

The cheap stuff.

If you get to the sea sometime, take a jar and dip into crashing surf. Bring it home keeping it from temp extremes, feed it some humus, a sliver of urea-based cow protien block, a pinch of chelated iron and a couple inches of rusty fence wire.

A couple drops of non-antibacterial dish soap again, the cheap stuff, some lemon oil (spoonful) and two 250 mg plain unbuffered aspirin.

Pour into a 5 gallon ficus tree or a pot plant and watch what happens. I'm not advocating dope, but I admit it sure helped me when I had a year of chemo.

If this sounds weird, take a sample down to the medical examiner's office and ask them to index it on the mass spectrometer. You'll see what we're talking about here then.

Academia may be precise and focused, but they have no monopoly on simplicity. They just have bigger words.

oak

There is an article in the December issue of Discover magazine on sudden oak death, page 67-73. did they just notice it or is it about time they said something about it. Discover.com is not your regular arbo web site but it is worth a read.

I've also read about the more complex sugars being stress signalers. Yous can spray sucrose, and lactose on a tree and get stress responces. So you know a certain sucker comese out around such and such a time, you spray the plant with sugar and it is alread protecting it'self by the time the bugs show up.

well.

i'm not sure where to go with this, but i'm sure something will come to me.

desire here now is to keep these bls infected trees on site while new plantings are gaining size. there's a - guess what - committee - that will decide what happens.

in the meantime....

would you believe i actually did put a bottle into the crashing surf and brought home some sea. i haven't fed it yet - it's feeding me/us.

oh. my.

m at u of mo

p.s. thanks, reed. always an education. always a delight.

p.s. reed again

actually, you've left me in a bit of a pickle (which i will get out of, do not worry) by saying i can't tell them about this treatment or where the information came from, as i've already told them to shut off the chainsaw until i get a recommended plan of action from a certain brilliant arbo in texas who has spent many years working with and understanding vascular diseases.

i must have been having way too much fun.

reed...

now i've had some time for it to percolate, i don't think this will be a problem. your explanations and logic seem easily 'salable', and we are in a great position here to do the work 'experimentally'. perhaps when i think about this some more, there is a possibility of some 'unscientific' research here. and no doubt the possibility of some 'scientific' research as well, but i have gotten so lazy....let me think about it - there may be a grad student who wants a project.

what do you think?

Latest posts

Back