Bad saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skunk

skunk

ArboristSite Lurker
The saw is a Jonered 2077 turbo,been a great saw.I set down to idle and it stopped.I went to refill on gas,but failed to restart.Being there was a lite rain out when I was refilling up with fuel,I thought maybe alittle water got into the tank.So I drainned the tank and took the carb apart and blew it out.I did get it running but it started hard.Putting the carb setting back to where they were,it idled fast.I then soaked the carb in carb cleanner and put in a new carb kit,ran the same way.Pull the trigger and it would pick up the rpm fast and take too long to slow down.I adjusted the low mix needle to one turn out and turnned in slowly until I reached it's highest rpm,then turnned it out one eighth of a turn.It seemed better but at a idle it would slow and stop with in 30 seconds.With the saw idling and tipping the saw on it's side with the recoil pointing at the ground,the saw runs.Tip the saw up so the recoilis pointing up to the sky and the saw stops.Believing I have a vacuum leak on one of the crank seals,I took a can of ether with a tube on the spray nozzle and srayed all around the clutch and the carb boot and got no rise the rpm.Couldn't do it around the flywheel side.I don't want to split the cases unless I have to.Maybe I'm setting the carb wrong?Or maybe I'm over looking something,I did replace the fuel filter also.Any ideas I'm all ears.

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
I'm not sure your ether check will work. Adding ether is adding fuel. The racing is caused by extra air (leaning out the mixture increases RPM when there is no significant load) ether adds fuel but reverses the lean condition. It might make an rpm change or not. Try a visual inspection and then try a little oil or grease on the mating surfaces.

Grande Dog

Grande Dog

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
You don't have to split the case to replace the seals. When your doing the tip test, the side that is up when it runs the fastest is the problem side.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
skunk

skunk

ArboristSite Lurker
I would like to thank every one who responed to my post.I am relieved to know that I don't have to split the cases to put in a crank seal.I've ordered in a flywheel side crank seal in and I'll post what happens.

Latest posts