bananna tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveMc

Reaction score
My mother-in-law has a bundle of bananna trees in her front yard. Last fall we cut down several of the stalks, which are sprouting again.(which is good)
The two stalks remaining are about ten feet tall with last years dead growth still on them. What should we do with this? Cut back the old stalks? Peel off the old growth? Or maybe, leave well enough alone until next fall? :help: :help:

You should cut the to old ones down, cut them as low to the ground as possible this will provide more sunlight for the other bananna plants and provide new growth.
I make it a habbit that whenever I cut off the rippened bananna stalk, I cut the entire stalk down. Here's a tip for getting down bananna that is unreachable by hand (10ft up or higher)- cut the stalk halfway through or even less and push on the tree, (the fiber will hold the tree together if you haven't cut it too deep) and you should be able to have the bananna as low as you want it to the ground. :):)

The length of time it takes from planting to fruit harvest is 10 to 12 months depending on the species that you have.
The two varities that I have in my yard are Hua Moa a Hawaiian species and one which the locals here call Chinese Apple, why they call it that I do not know...
Hua Moa grows up to about 12ft and has very large fruit with medium sweetness, while the Apple variety grows to about 6ft and has smaller but very sweet bearing fruit, yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Banana shakes, banana splits, fried bananas. peanut banana sandwhiches, gone bananas!!!!

Back