Bandit 2250xp grinder, what are ur thoughts...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OLD MAN GRINDER

OLD MAN GRINDER

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the info Bob, I'm gonna talk to our dealer tomorrow on upgrading to the 2150. It sounds like you have had great luck with it, and many others too! I just don't want to spend the $23,000 for a new 2150, but it'll be worth it in the long run.:cheers: too

I paid 19,300 for mine, 38hp big block kohler, would have liked the diesel but just not in the cards at my age, but the engine is more than adequate for anything i have run into, just keep the teeth sharp, i am not afraid to tackle any stump with the 2150, also considered the carlton but opted for the bandit because of dealer availability..

Bob...:cheers:

jr680681974

jr680681974

ArboristSite Lurker
I sure wish I could get a 2150 for $19,300, come to find out today they have discontinued the 2150 and are replacing it with the 2550xp, and it will cost $24,000 with the 38hp gas, with swing out controls. Anybody seen or ran the new 2550's? I'm not going to buy one until I hear a few others review them and I sell my 2250.:bang:

Bigstumps

Bigstumps

ArboristSite Operative
After a couple dozen stumps with my 2250, I'm wishing I would have bought a 2150. Its fine for small stumps it just bogs down too much on larger stumps and its taking way too much time. I'll be trying to trade it in for the 2150, or maybe a 2550. I also had a small hydro problem where it would grind in reverse and hesitate but the dealer fixed it. I was real happy with it when I demoed it, and for the first few stumps, but thumbs down for the 2250 now.

Hate to say I told you so but.......

"I can't believe a 2250 with 27HP will out grind a 2150 with 37HP. Something must have been seriously wrong with the 2150!!

You can take a Rayco 1672M and out grind the 1672DXH easily - same thing has to apply here.

The 2250 can't really have any more power than the mini skid mount grinders - 25HP Hydros - and they are not good"

I told you so....

So now Bandit doesn't build the 2150??? Are they going all Hydro??

jr680681974

jr680681974

ArboristSite Lurker
Its not like I'm a bandit rep. or something. The 2250 was what I chose because it was new and only a few thousand more, and it ground as good as a used 2150 that day... Learn from your mistakes I guess...

Im not talking about a 25hp mini skid loader mount, they are worthless too. But I have a cat 277 with a stump grinder attachment for it, machine is 80hp and works great, had it for 7 or 8 years now.

jr680681974

jr680681974

ArboristSite Lurker
Hate to say I told you so but.......

"I can't believe a 2250 with 27HP will out grind a 2150 with 37HP. Something must have been seriously wrong with the 2150!!

You can take a Rayco 1672M and out grind the 1672DXH easily - same thing has to apply here.

The 2250 can't really have any more power than the mini skid mount grinders - 25HP Hydros - and they are not good"

I told you so....

So now Bandit doesn't build the 2150??? Are they going all Hydro??

Yep they are going all hydro according to the dealer in omaha

jmfe

ArboristSite Lurker
2550xp 44 hp

Yep they are going all hydro according to the dealer in omaha
I am ordering mine now great grinder should have in 2/3 weeks,on belts will save on down time and $.........:msp_thumbup:44hp/4x4 w/plow around $33,500.:givebeer: Had a Vermeer SC252 to much maintenance [lot cheaper] took for ever to grind mid-size stumps and went thru 2 much belts,ect.

Last edited:
OLD MAN GRINDER

OLD MAN GRINDER

ArboristSite Operative
I am ordering mine now great grinder should have in 2/3 weeks,on belts will save on down time and $.........:msp_thumbup:44hp/4x4 w/plow around $33,500.:givebeer: Had a Vermeer SC252 to much maintenance [lot cheaper] took for ever to grind mid-size stumps and went thru 2 much belts,ect.

Sold my 2150 sept 1st and bought a new 2550 to get away from the constantly adj belts and greasing bearings, some have said u will lose power between belt and hyd drive, i have not seen that, the hyd wheel spin is much more than belt drive, and if anything the hyd drive cutting ability is superior to the belt drive, i have owned 4 diff grinders over the years and this is without a doubt the best one i have ever had, i think u will be very happy with ur purchase..

Bob....:cheers:

PassionForTrees

PassionForTrees

ArboristSite Operative
Hey guys, not for nothing but just feeling like sharing my thougts on stump grinding. I used to have the smaller grinder tow behind unit about 30 hp and I absolutely hated grinding stumps, too much time and too much maintenance and sharpening so on and on. I sold the unit and stepped up to a 66 hp diesel. used descent condition for $18000. I am using 1100 series green teeth, and easily sharpen my self. cant beleive it, what used to take me 30 - 40 minutes takes me ( NOT KIDDING ) 3 - 4 minutes if that at times. now I like stump grinding, just hate the clean up. LOL seriously I dont think anything under 50 HP should be used for grinding and to make any money at it on top of that. Iknow we all dont have the money but I didnt either and worked my way up to it and just thought to share that with you all. Demo a unit over 50 hp and get back to me. tell me your thoughts. and I should appoligize now right cause you will spend the money and enjoy grinding and make your money back! Grind safe Rich.

jr680681974

jr680681974

ArboristSite Lurker
I've been hearing good things about the 2550. I'll probably demo the 2550 with the 44hp diesel in the next month and trade my 2250 off for it. I'm betting the 2550 will cut time in half compared to the 2250.

jr680681974

jr680681974

ArboristSite Lurker
Yep that's true. I just took my 2250 in for it, I think all the 2550's had the recall too. I'm asking $15,250 for my 2250, super low hours. Great for small stumps, or a rental company.

OLD MAN GRINDER

OLD MAN GRINDER

ArboristSite Operative
Just dropped my 2550 off at dealer 200 mile round trip, said they should have
the kit on by friday, said out of 258 machines 3 wheel failures all on the 2250, none
on the 2550, since a new concept, all hyd, i kinda expected some problems to iron
out, but not the grinding wheel coming off,,,thats really scary,,,,,i have also noticed
i cannot get on the bandit website by clicking on banners on site, something strange
going on......very pleased with machine overall but kinda spooked right now....

Bob.....:cheers:

jr680681974

jr680681974

ArboristSite Lurker
I hear ya Bob! That's a long haul for ya, hopefully they got the bugs worked out after this one. I'm looking to get a 2550 in the next year. I'm glad to hear guys are liking them, for I wish I would have bought one instead of the 2250.

treeman_25

treeman_25

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi all, I just want to clarify that Bandit did not have a recall on these machines. There were a couple of instances that have occurred that had to do with the hydraulic drive motor shaft that is supplied to us by a vendor. To protect our customers and others from injury we decided to have everyone stop using these machines until we came up with a kit to ensure that if this shaft does break the wheel would not come off and cause injury. Glad to hear our competitors are using this against us when we are just trying to make sure our customers are being protected!!

OLD MAN GRINDER

OLD MAN GRINDER

ArboristSite Operative
Hi all, I just want to clarify that Bandit did not have a recall on these machines. There were a couple of instances that have occurred that had to do with the hydraulic drive motor shaft that is supplied to us by a vendor. To protect our customers and others from injury we decided to have everyone stop using these machines until we came up with a kit to ensure that if this shaft does break the wheel would not come off and cause injury. Glad to hear our competitors are using this against us when we are just trying to make sure our customers are being protected!!

Checked out the kit yesterday at dealer when i dropped my 2550 off, hope the additional weight of kit on cutter wheel will not hurt performance, if i understand this kit is only temporary until the shaft problem can be solved and then new hyd motor shaft will be installed, am i correct ???

I wouldn't be too worried about the competitors, i have had 4 diff grinders, shaver, vermeer and bandit and none compare with my 2550, dealer service has been excellent and i commend bandit for taking preventative steps to ensure owner and customer safety...

Bob.....:cheers: