Bandt 1290 Perkins RPM.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bandit1290 RPMs PERKINS 4.236
Appologies for the cross post also in arborist 101 but need this info fast

Hi
Kind of embarrasing to have to ask. But I just bought a used Bandit Drum 1290 with a perkins 4.236 diesel. Does anyone have a similar machine and can advise on what Bandit recommeds for operating RPM?

Serviced all the filters etc, and I did some small 3" branches etc yesterday to try it out, running at 1900 rpm. It pulled branches nicely and made good 1/4 inch chips, but ... it seemed to be a bit lazy on the discharge velocity.

I notice the newer versions dont have the "gills" on the discharge chute, was this an improvement they made to get more pull through the drum and the discharge?

Manuals are on order from Perkins and Bandit, but in the meantime any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Most of these engines run close to 2450 RPM. Check your throttle cable to make sure it hasn't slipped in the fuel injection pump. Make sure the arm is getting fully pulled at the full throttle position.

What are the Gills you refer to on the discharge???

Description of vents.

Thanks for the reply, you are bang on on the RPM. I contacted bandit and they dug up the manual page for me.

Regarding the vents...
There are three vents on the base of the discharge chute just above, top and on both sides, on the discharge chute on the discharge just after the drum assembly they are about six inches long and about 5 inches wide wedge shaped and have metal mesh covers pointing towards the drum. They look as though they were intended to act as venturi, air induction to aid in the airflow for throwing the chips...

Is your engine running that fast?? I wouldn't trust the digital autofeed tach. Throttle cable pulling the injection pump all the way open?? I'll have to look at their website to see these vents.

Back