bar and chain oil special question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to make a comment that.. I'm surprised at what some people run for bar lube... not being critical to anyone, just never realized that you could use any type of new oil as long as not to thick from what it sounds.... and to think, I gave my dad hell one day cause he bought a new electric pole saw to trim a few bad trees around his house, and decided to put vegetable oil in the oil tank cause he forgot to buy bar oil.. lol looks like I won't be in sheer panick mode next time I realize I'm out of bar oil.

TSC (Tractor Supply) sells it today for $6 per gallon. It is excellent quality and impossible to beat at that price. That's MHO.

I bought a jug and tried it. Not bad at all, and sorta/kinda absolutely about the same, as the Husky summer oil used to be a couple years back.
I ran it the other day when it was in the low 40's and it flows fine.
Might not even have to cut it come January..

I ended up with a dozen Gallons before the sale went off, and it went back to $8.99 or whatever it is now.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The first saw I ever bought was a Poulan S33 with a manual oiler and I put used motor oil in it for 20 years and it never had a problem. With the manual oiler I probably over oiled it most of the time. Had the bar dressed one time and traded it in when bought the Stihl 290. wished I had kept it.

Ok I guess I haven't bought any for a while I had about 4 gals left in my garage, I priced it yesterday where I used to buy it for about 2.50 per gal it was now $7 he said the big jump was about a year or so ago. But still I can say I never paid more than $3 so far. I will probably run out next year tho.

I go through the stuff like crazy cause when I get time to cut, I cut from about 7:30am until around 7pm... only stopping long enough to grab a quick bite to eat and let the saw take it's union-mandated lunch break lol

Does anybody have a preference on bar and chain oil. One of the major suppliers has it on sell till christmas but have never used the brand they have. or is one as good as the other thanks

If your just a home user I dont think its worth trying to save a few bucks on cheap bar or 2 stroke oil. I have always used Stihl bar oil & Stihl 2 stroke oil (blended by Castrol in Australia) in my 3 saws & they run just great. Had my 032 since 1982 & its done a lot of work clearing house sites & firewood for friends & myself. Its had a couple of carby rebuilds but still has the same piston & cylinder & has heaps of compression. Can work it all day in hardwood in 35 degC heat & it just keeps on going.

Back