Bar & Chain swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melvinhatcher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 064 Stihl with a 20" bar and a 028 Stihl Wood Boss with a 16" bar.
I ordered a new 28" bar & chain and a new 3/8 sprocket for the 064. I would like to know if I could use the 20" bar and chain from the 064 on the 028? :blob5:

Stumper said:
Yeah, but make sure you have a 3/8ths sprocket on the 028-they can also be .325
I ordered a 3/8 sprocket for the 028, I hope the 028 has enough guts to handle the 20" bar & chain. Also, I hope I don't regret opting for a 28 incher for the 064.
What type of chain would you guys recommend for a non-professional firewood cutter who handles some large trees from time to time. I get free wood from a couple of tree removal companies. All I have to do is cut it up and haul it home. Sometimes they deliver it to me, rather than pay to have it disposed.

It'll be fine. I like full skip chisel chain for good performance and ease of sharpening. If the wood you get tends to be dirty you might try semi-chisel. It is a tough call-if both are sharp Full chisel cuts about 10% faster but dulls more easily.

Stumper said:
It'll be fine. I like full skip chisel chain for good performance and ease of sharpening. If the wood you get tends to be dirty you might try semi-chisel. It is a tough call-if both are sharp Full chisel cuts about 10% faster but dulls more easily.
How about sharping the "Full chisel, semi-chisel or a regular chain, don't they take a different grinder wheel and file?

melvinhatcher said:
How about sharping the "Full chisel, semi-chisel or a regular chain, don't they take a different grinder wheel and file?
There is no such thing as "regular chain".
Full chisel and chisel is the same - the name has just been "inflated" by some marketing people. They can be square-ground or round-ground, and those options require different charpening equipment. Round-ground is much easier to charpen by hand.
Semi-chisel is always round-ground, and requires the same equipment as round-ground chisel. There are differenses both between makes and models of chain, so you have to check both what equipment to use, and the correct angles, for each and every chain variant you use.
There can be good reasons to use other angles than the manufacturers suggest, but don't do it unless you know exactly what you do, and why.

Stihl RM, RS and RSC all use the same file and the same angles.

SawTroll said:
Full chisel and chisel is the same - the name has just been "inflated" by some marketing people. They can be square-ground or round-ground, and those options require different charpening equipment. Round-ground is much easier to charpen by hand.
Semi-chisel is always round-ground, and requires the same equipment as round-ground chisel. There are differenses both between makes and models of chain, so you have to check both what equipment to use, and the correct angles, for each and every chain variant you use.
There can be good reasons to use other angles than the manufacturers suggest, but don't do it unless you know exactly what you do, and why.

Ok!

Thank you very much, you have been very informative.
Yesterday I bought a new 33RM2-91 3/8" .050 RAPID 28 inch chain and a 28 inch bar for my Papa saw (064)

Now I am going to use the 20" bar from the 064 on the 028. However, the 16 inch bar does do a nice job limbing and bucking trees 20 inches or less.

SawTroll said:

Do you recommend any particular break in procedure for a new bar and chain?

melvinhatcher said:
Do you recommend any particular break in procedure for a new bar and chain?
I have done anything from just increasing oiler output and check tightening more often for a while, to the full Oregon recommended procedure (soaking the chain in bar oil overnight, running the chain at half throttle for tree minutes before cutting wood, re-tighten, cutting light cuts for a while, re-tighten and then you are ready to go.....).
I haven't noticed much difference.......

melvinhatcher said:
Yesterday I bought a new 33RM2-91 3/8" .050 RAPID 28 inch chain and a 28 inch bar for my Papa saw (064).....
RM2 is a safety chain of the "worst" kind, with big "bumper" drive-links.
I suggest that you take it back to the store, and get either RSC, RS, RSC3 or RM instead. RSC3 is also sort of safety chain, but as it recembles Oregon LP in design, it should cut very well anyway.

SawTroll said:
RM2 is a safety chain of the "worst" kind, with big "bumper" drive-links.
I suggest that you take it back to the store, and get either RSC, RS, RSC3 or RM instead. RSC3 is also sort of safety chain, but as it recembles Oregon LP in design, it should cut very well anyway.
Oops, to late I soaked it in oil over night and put it and the new bar on the saw. Well, it sure is nose heavy now . . . and it will defiantly be a big log saw. At any rate thanks for the chain designations. I wish I knew sooner. However, now that I know, I will be better prepared for my next :Eye: chain :Eye: .

Thanks again

SawTroll said:
Also take a look at this tread, if you haven't read it already:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=21746

RSC, RS and RSC3 are chisel.
RM and RM2 are semi chisel.
I read the thread earlier. However, I will re-read it again and more careful this time. :Eye:
Because, I think I will understand the thread more now that I understand the terminology better. :Eye:
Also, I am beginning to understand the conscientious of opinions here about my 028 pulling a twenty inch 3/8" bar & chain, maybe a .325 eighteen or twenty incher? :Eye:
I don't know but, we will find out and I will keep the forum posted of the results.

Later and thanks for everything guys, ;)

Last edited:

I have never used a 028, and they were availiable in different versions, with various motor sizes.
Nevertheless, none of them were more than about 52 cc's, and I think they all will be at their best with .325 chain, espessially with long bars (18 - 20").

Back