Bar dry on Poulan 4620AVX: oil pump works, but not getting pushed through ports

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystryda

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Craftsman 46cc that, from what I've read, is essentially a Poulan 4620AVX. I bought it used, and from what I can tell it hasn't seen much use.

The trouble is that the bar is dry. I've taken the pump apart and cleaned it up, and when running with the bar plate off the pump delivers its little pulses of oil, but when reassembled with the bar plate and bar nothing makes it onto the bar. Instead oil (but maybe not as much as there should be??) just oozes down out the botom.

I've cleaned the bar and made sure that the ports and passages are clear. I've also checked everything from this older thread (which didn't seem to have resolution).

If I had to guess, I'd say that the problem might be that the bar plate doesn't make good enough contact with the saw or maybe with the saw, but I don't know to approach that. Otherwise I'm stumped. Thanks in advance.

Oiler should be pumping a good bit of oil. Make sure top hole in bar is aligned with the oil port grove. Have you just installed the bar with no chain, added shims to take the place of the cover and tighten the bar down with the nuts and watched the oil flow?

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

^^^Ya this is a good suggestion. Chains stretch and sometimes put the bar oil hole past the slot so thing don't work and oil drip on the ground. Check with chain on that the slot lines up with oil hole on bar then do as suggested above. It may be the case you need to remove a drive link so things marry up.

Oiler should be pumping a good bit of oil. Make sure top hole in bar is aligned with the oil port grove. Have you just installed the bar with no chain, added shims to take the place of the cover and tighten the bar down with the nuts and watched the oil flow?

Yes, I used a pair of 3/8" sockets to take the space of the cover. I confirmed that the top groove was aligned with the hole on the saw blade. No bueno, no oil coming through.

Oil pickup line in oil tank intact?

I don't know how to tell that. But I do get little spurts when the motor is running but the bar plate is off, so I'm assuming that it's ok. I don't know how much oil is appropriate/typical, though.

So there's the little black gasket that sits between the pump and the bar plate. Do those go bad? Or is there some other seal that's perhaps missing?

Pickup line goes directly to the pump and passes into the oil tank. I'd check the molded line and filter to make sure it's clean and no hole in line. Should have real good flow, NO spurts from pump. I'd line and filter good, its possible pump causing problem.

Pickup line goes directly to the pump and passes into the oil tank. I'd check the molded line and filter to make sure it's clean and no hole in line. Should have real good flow, NO spurts from pump. I'd line and filter good, its possible pump causing problem.

Ok, thanks, will do. I now know what to check tomorrow.

I don't know how to tell that. But I do get little spurts when the motor is running but the bar plate is off, so I'm assuming that it's ok. I don't know how much oil is appropriate/typical, though.

So there's the little black gasket that sits between the pump and the bar plate. Do those go bad? Or is there some other seal that's perhaps missing?
With the bar removed running the saw should produce a constant dribble of oil out of the slot in the casing little spurts point to pump & or check valve(If there is one) not up to scratch.

The plastic gear on the Poulan oil pump plungers tend to get chewed up.
This can cause that erratic spurting and not having enough pressure & flow.
Debris, sawdust & fibers get inside the pump assembly and fouls the teeth & shreds them.

My money is on a bad pump.

What did you find on the oil pump?

Sorry for the delay in responding. Work got in the way of life.

But speaking of work, it works! Someone PM'd me the suggestion that I fill the bar oil tank with kerosene to soak the filter and line, and that worked like a charm. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Back