Bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tired Squirrel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, so its time to replace the worn bar on my stock Jred 2171 and thought I'd get the opinion of the masses here on the site. I currently run a 24" bar and have had no complaints with it as it's handled most of what I do. I have thought about stepping up to a 28" bar as I do occasionally have the need for it and during those times the longer bar would just make things a little easier. So the question is...will the slightly longer bar effect performance enough to notice a difference? And, will a 28" bar on a 2171 give me any AV mount issues from increased vibration etc.. I appreciate any input as I always value advice given by those with experience.

There's a thread on here somewhere that explains the only difference on a larger bar is slightly more drag drom extra friction. Not noticeable until it hits wood as big as the new bar. I don't anything about it but that's what I read. So 2 different size bars in same size tree(say 20in tree) u won't notice a difference. (Just what I read, not opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 inch balances great IMHO on your saw and nothing looks better than a total super bar I've got some 28 inch bars but I usually run 24 on a 371 plus they are a bit cheaper than 28.

I recently had the pleasure of running a tsumara 28" light and tough bar. It was on a ms 661. Really a nice combo. If I had to choose between a 24" regular solid bar and a 28" light bar, I'd go light bar every time I think. The extra reach is nice, and it weighs almost exactly the same amount.

They're a bit pricey, but you can get them online (eBay I think). Also, a Total light and tough is the same thing. Alternatively, I'd consider an Oregon reduced weight or a Stihl ES light bar (with an adapter).

You wont be happy with it. I have ran a 28 on a 2172 and a 372. It really wont have the grunt in Jersey hardwoods too cut with the bar buried, or close to it. Learning a few bucking tricks and you will be able to cut nearly anything with a 24 that you can with a 28, and if it is too big, well hell I wont cut it or get a bigger saw. Watch a few of the west coast guys and how they handle big wood. Those bucking tricks work well for 'too small' a bar.

The AV and clutch will be fine, it just wont cut fast enough. You will have to be on your A game with filing if you want it to preform well. A 24 is the right match for it in hardwoods. I have a 28 inch bar I use on my saws for rare occasions and it has never really made me happy about the performance except in softwoods.

Back