Bar repair/dealer rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. I've never had one repaired before. My main concern was making sure I didn't create a pinch point or the like, but I'll put it in a vice and/ or hit it with a hammer at this point.

I got a bent bar in today and I swear the guy must have read the posts on here! But in the end he had to agree that there is no way it will be perfect. It can just can't be done.

Attachments

• IMG_20170304_112119[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20170304_112130[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20170413_091411[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170413_091444[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20170413_091512[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Yep. I've never had one repaired before. My main concern was making sure I didn't create a pinch point or the like, but I'll put it in a vice and/ or hit it with a hammer at this point.
I don't think a bar will be necessary. Clamp the entire length of the nose, with the jaws stopping at the point of the bend. Use the rest of the bar to bend it at that point. I'd put one hand right near the bend, so as to not put a bow in the length of the bar. I think you'll be surprised how easily it straightens out.

Why all of the various pics of bent bars?

it was all timing.. I read the posting and a few minutes later a guy comes in asking about the bar, the really bent one was from a 441 that had a tree dropped on it. I had hoped someone would say " Oh thats nothing I can straighten that out right quick! " But I suppose they are too far gone.

Back