Bark peeling/shaved oddity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickolas

Retired and messing around with old stuff...
Reaction score
I have several trees in the front yard that have bark missing all the way up as far as I can see. Its odd like a razorblade has shaved it off and you can see small holes everywhere like a bug has bored a hole but you never see any bugs. Trees never have any leaves on them at all. I don't know what the cause of this is does anyone have any ideas? There are about five trees all the same and they all have this shaved bark appearance to them. No other trees are like,e this of a different species. I am in Northern Virginia near Winchester.

bf6dbd20438e29752e65b09ff353ee69.jpg

39cf8ad055bcbd705e17bb0189b23b78.jpg

4f8c8c938cd77b833008207c3c088a6c.jpg

Apparently from what I have read it is in about 22 States now. Yet even farther up north from me...

The more I look around on the land, there are ash trees everywhere that are infected. We just moved here last fall so I haven't really thoroughly checked out everything but walking around the other day I noticed a lot of ash trees. We have a big front yard about a hundred yards back off the main road in about 40 trees and it in about half or ash. I would much rather have my trees with leaves for shade then to have to cut them up for firewood but nothing I can do about it now, it sucks.

The more I look around on the land, there are ash trees everywhere that are infected. We just moved here last fall so I haven't really thoroughly checked out everything but walking around the other day I noticed a lot of ash trees. We have a big front yard about a hundred yards back off the main road in about 40 trees and it in about half or ash. I would much rather have my trees with leaves for shade then to have to cut them up for firewood but nothing I can do about it now, it sucks.

Might want to start planting something else that grows fairly fast, since it seems pretty certain you are going to lose 1/2 your trees.

Latest posts

Back