Basic knots, Which should a trainee start with?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I think the company wouldn't have a problem with a worker using something more productive, especially if the worker paid for it himself."

Not according to what I am being told. The large companies here are not going to allow any other system to be used on their crews no matter what. Its the closed system taut line hitch or nothing (my way or the highway) "more productive" is just not an issue. This may sound "hide bound" and even stupid but that.s the way it is. Yes I am sure that expense has something to do with it. i'm sure fear of "something new" and worries about liability have something to do with it too. The whys of it though are irrelevant to my question. That's just the way it is and the greenhand must conform to that or they will find someone who will.

I beginning to think that this guy is the big company.

All this other bologna aside:

Tautline
Blake's
Prussic
Clove Hitch
Bowline (& Running Bowline)

Have him get these down and he'll be ahead of the game. He won't have a "leg-up" on anybody though. His attitude will have more to do with advancement than his knowledge or ability.

Around here Line Clearance spike everything. It's all a moot point though and comes down to attitude. He'll be intimately familiar with the chipper before he ties his first knot or ever leaves the ground.

All this other bologna aside:

Tautline
Blake's
Prussic
Clove Hitch
Bowline (& Running Bowline)

Have him get these down and he'll be ahead of the game. He won't have a "leg-up" on anybody though. His attitude will have more to do with advancement than his knowledge or ability.

Around here Line Clearance spike everything. It's all a moot point though and comes down to attitude. He'll be intimately familiar with the chipper before he ties his first knot or ever leaves the ground.

Here in Topeka Kansas , I started @ Wright Tree ( line clearnce of course ) I worked as a groundman in the rural area's outside of town, one crew, 3 guys ( foreman/journeyman/ my little as* no place for me to move up for right at a year ) I had to buy my own personal saddle just to start climbing, the other 2 saddles were way to big 4 me, and the basic knots was as quoted above. I learned them and that was it for quit some time. After that stint, I transfered in town, more crews and such, I ended up as foreman on year 3 not because I was "taught" or was just " the next guy in line" , it was of my nature to watch and learn. I picked up different styles from different people and made my own even some of my own climb knot's. I started off as foreman buying me a more suitable saddle ( freestyle ) and ran with it. It's not the knot's that will get your " foot in the door" it is your ambishon.

Around here, they use what ever they want, if u get hired, u get handed someones old saddle to use, maybe u will get something new after a while. Most of the guys use their own gear and they tie in with whatever. Vt, swabash, blakes all of them. I know a lot of them have 2 sets, work basic set and custom side work set.

Latest posts

Back