Basket case MS460(Symptoms of CAD)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAAB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Waiting for my second project saw to show up. Browsing ebay, AGAIN. I bid on, and won a definite basket case of an MS460.

s-l1600.jpg

This will be my third project within 2 months time. At least I'll have something to tinker with through the winter.

I know everyone likes to see pictures. So as I get things done on this I'll post updates here.

I will not be buying a Huztl P&C, but what is recommended for a good quality aftermarket?

I'm hoping to keep it under $150 for the P&C

For that price you may be able to get a Hyway cylinder and a Meteor piston and rings. There's a Meteor piston/ring + cylinder + gaskets kit which is excellent quality but it's probably over budget.
And I haven't seen a used 046/MS460 top end in quite a while...

Someone here once posted that they were unhappy with the intake port shape on the meteor. I’ve use a MS440 meteor and was happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patience will get you a good used OEM for that price or a used OEM cylinder for less, then find a meteor piston for a good price and you are good to go. If you really want aftermarket there is a guy in Greece that has stuff cheap. You could get a Hyway cylinder bundled with a Meteor piston for 85 bucks plus shipping. I don't know what shipping would be to the states but you could always check it out. Maybe you luck out and get one with good timing.

http://www.dlastore.com/e_store/cyl...-460-magnum-52mm-nikasil-w-meteor-piston.html

Almost every AM cylinder I have handled needed the bevel around the ports cleaned up and in some actually need a bevel made. It has been totally hit or miss on quality control on am stuff. Surprisingly the Hyway sets have been the better sets all around from my experiences but I would never run any AM sets without close inspection and likely some improvement.

HLS has Meteor P&C for $134. With all the gaskets it is $145

I was looking at HLS last night and some of their kits were out of stock.

I was thinking about going with the 54mm P&C, just because. Any reason I shouldn't? Is the 54mm the same as the 660 P&C?

Commom problems with the BB kits is that port timing is off and usually the transfers are inadequate or odd shaped and then the saws crankcase may or may not have enough capacity to fill and flow the air fuel mixture to the top. Most saw porters can improve upon them but stock they are usually duds, less power and performance than a OEM set.

Interesting thread, to say the least. I bought an 046 Mag power head three years ago for $300 that supposedly did not run. All it needed was a carb adjustment. I cut 32" dia. big red elm with it today while pulling a 28" bar. Bucked six cuts all the way down. This "old" saw ran beautifully.

The saw showed up today. Crank is siezed. I've already heated and split the case. It's all pulled apart. I'll be ordering parts soon, as well as posting some pictures.

The saw showed up today. Crank is siezed. I've already heated and split the case. It's all pulled apart. I'll be ordering parts soon, as well as posting some pictures.

Was the bearings seized or the big end rod bearing seized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shouldn't say that the crank was seized. It moved, but just barely. I think the saw was straight gassed. It appears that the roller bearings on the crank are completely dry, and had probably overheated. The big end of the rod spins feeely.

My 046 Mag did something interesting last week on a cold morning. It started OK but then it ran almost at fast idle speed during idle setting. I waited a moment and it started slowing down by itself. It took about 30 seconds, but it settled into normal idle, all ready to cut. So, the saw warmed up all by itself. That never has happened before, but I liked it. After that I buck cut big elm with six straight flawless cuts using a 28" bar.

Nice machine in my book. I'll check it again tomorrow at the same site. Hope your basket case is converted to a strong runner like my 046 is.

Back