Basket case MS460(Symptoms of CAD)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only ask because the 460 is a 52mm bore but the big bore kit is 54mm, while the stock 660 is also a 54mm bore.

Unless I misread information somewhere.

Lots of other members in Western NY on the “other forum” at Outdoor Power Equipment.

Could likely offer you help.

The 064/066 have a longer stroke and different cylinder geometry. They will not work on your 046.

You should be able to find a used oem Jug for a reasonable price. Then a Meteor piston for around $50. It’s really your best bet. Post a wanted add on the Trading Post.

You could go good quality AM, but I’d have a pro look it over and clean it up for u. I’d still use a Meteor piston though.

I've been ordering parts like it's my job. Some are Chinese. A lot are oem used or new. I have a used OEM piston and cylinder coming, as well as a meteor piston. Just in case the OE isn't so nice.

I know I'm not doing this the right way because Whatever I can't find used, I just buy new. If I was smart I'd wait until parts became available.

Either way, I'll get this thing back together in the next few weeks.

I have yet to bring my camera into work with me so I can post some more pictures.

yup a trip right down the rabbit hole building a saw like that...all the little parts and ordering stuff.....but usually nice when there done...don't skimp on the rotating assembly....that's were all the work is and gets done...

good luck

Original crank and rod, OE gaskets, seals, and bearings.

It will make for a good saw. This saw was a basket case. Even one case half is 044 and one is ms440. I’ve used Chinese covers and they have been fine. If you need a starter, you can take a Chinese one and change the pulley, paws and paw clip for oem.

57dd2db7e12c306433e1cd718a4899b8.jpg

And I’m working on this basket case 044. I have 95% of the parts I need. The rest are on the way to me.

f80b90ae7bb17c0d11bad8f732386276.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done about the same with my "new" rebuilt MS 660 Mag. Believe me, the finished product works very well. I bought the old basket case saw for $300, sunk about $150 into the new structure, saved whatever I could from the original, and this $960 saw when new cost me less than half that amount to save. Brandon and I are on the same page. But, remember that it takes some mechanical skill and time to do all of this.

Latest posts

Back