Bc1500 tach problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Cunningham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a 2009 bc1500 and the tach isnt working. When you turn the key on it does the intial sweep of the tach but says 0rpm when running and when you hit the info button its not reading any of the sensors like temp oil pressure or hours. I did find a wire unplugged but cant find where it goes and does not have the protector end on like the other unplugged wires.

I just bought a 2009 bc1500 and the tach isnt working. When you turn the key on it does the intial sweep of the tach but says 0rpm when running and when you hit the info button its not reading any of the sensors like temp oil pressure or hours. I did find a wire unplugged but cant find where it goes and does not have the protector end on like the other unplugged wires.
Tach rpms and sensors are usually two separate circuits. This is the case on the BC1000.

RPM signal comes from either a magnetic pickup on the flywheel or a terminal on the the alternator.

For Autofeed to work the controller needs an RPM signal from the engine. Does Autofeed work on this machine?

The controller has LEDs that display sensors, rpms, etc. All should be green with the machine running. Are any red?

If it has not been tampered with sensors like water temp or oil pressure that are not working should prevent the engine from starting.

When a wire is disconnected like this it can be an attempt to mask problems. It may take some detective work on your part to determine this.

Tach rpms and sensors are usually two separate circuits. This is the case on the BC1000.

RPM signal comes from either a magnetic pickup on the flywheel or a terminal on the the alternator.

For Autofeed to work the controller needs an RPM signal from the engine. Does Autofeed work on this machine?

The controller has LEDs that display sensors, rpms, etc. All should be green with the machine running. Are any red?

If it has not been tampered with sensors like water temp or oil pressure that are not working should prevent the engine from starting.

When a wire is disconnected like this it can be an attempt to mask problems. It may take some detective work on your part to determine this.
Yes the autofeed works correctly everything works except the tach and the tach on it reads the water temp oil pressure voltage and hrs i found where the one wite that was unhooked went to it was to a fuel filter i plugged it in and same no tach but runs just fiine

Yes the autofeed works correctly everything works except the tach and the tach on it reads the water temp oil pressure voltage and hrs i found where the one wite that was unhooked went to it was to a fuel filter i plugged it in and same no tach but runs just fiine
And yes all lights are green on the autofeed controller

Sounds like the the tach with sensors is not getting power.
Possibly a bad ground connection.

The service manual with wiring diagrams would be helpful but Vermeer charges around $250 for a reprint.

Sounds like the the tach with sensors is not getting power.
Possibly a bad ground connection.

The service manual with wiring diagrams would be helpful but Vermeer charges around $250 for a reprint.
The tach does light up and does do the intial sweep of the rpms but thats it. Im also having a problem with the trailer brakes not working correctly but im not sure where they ground at. Im thinking maybe the tach is bad this machine sat for a few yrs in a garage. I went over all the wires and i dont see any loose connections or bad wires. I might try a new tach as they run around 150 if that dont do it i will get the service manual.

The tach does light up and does do the intial sweep of the rpms but thats it. Im also having a problem with the trailer brakes not working correctly but im not sure where they ground at. Im thinking maybe the tach is bad this machine sat for a few yrs in a garage. I went over all the wires and i dont see any loose connections or bad wires. I might try a new tach as they run around 150 if that dont do it i will get the service manual.
You could try measuring with a DVM across the tach terminals, just to see if there is any signal there. Try AC or DC, it wont hurt the meter if you get it wrong.

You could try measuring with a DVM across the tach terminals, just to see if there is any signal there. Try AC or DC, it wont hurt the meter if you get it wrong.
I will check that out and make sure there is signal coming. I dont think that all the sensors would go bad at the same time. Im also gonna trace wires back to sources to be sure they are all good. Im thinkin since its one of those smart tachs the computer board in it went bad from sitting

I put a test light in the plug ends and im only getting power from one wire. Should the tach signal temp voltage and oil pressure also show power coming out of the plug or are they grounds. I also found the fuses and none were bad. I need a wiring diagram to trace the wires. Im not sure how the autofeed box is getting a tach signal but the tach isnt

I put a test light in the plug ends and im only getting power from one wire. Should the tach signal temp voltage and oil pressure also show power coming out of the plug or are they grounds. I also found the fuses and none were bad. I need a wiring diagram to trace the wires. Im not sure how the autofeed box is getting a tach signal but the tach isnt
You will need a DVM to test for wire continuity, a test light won't be sufficient. Amazon or a local automotive store will have what is needed for a modest price.

The 2009 BC1000 schematic shows one wire from the Tach to the controller, it's connected to the same wire from the autofeed pickup. Since autofeed is working your pickup is OK. But the wire from the tach to the autofeed pickup may be open.

Since your machine has the temp, voltage and oil pressure included with the tach it's unclear how that works. The BC1000 has sperate indicators for the engine vitals.

The BC1000 factory service manual does not show the physical layout for the wiring, it's not the best.

Its likely a canbus wire feeding into the tac if a single wire relays multiple types of information
Hard to believe Vermeer used CANbus technology in a 2009 machine but that sounds logical.

Found this BC1500 controller on ebay, the indicators are the same as the BC1000 controller. The oil pressure and water temp are just dummy lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184684321859

Problem is fixed the tach itself was fried. Had to buy a new tach through vermeer due to updated part numbers but you can buy it through other places that sell datcon tachs. Cost from vermeer was 340 dollars

You will need a DVM to test for wire continuity, a test light won't be sufficient. Amazon or a local automotive store will have what is needed for a modest price.

The 2009 BC1000 schematic shows one wire from the Tach to the controller, it's connected to the same wire from the autofeed pickup. Since autofeed is working your pickup is OK. But the wire from the tach to the autofeed pickup may be open.

Since your machine has the temp, voltage and oil pressure included with the tach it's unclear how that works. The BC1000 has sperate indicators for the engine vitals.

The BC1000 factory service manual does not show the physical layout for the wiring, it's not the best.
It was the tach itself it was fried

I put a test light in the plug ends and im only getting power from one wire. Should the tach signal temp voltage and oil pressure also show power coming out of the plug or are they grounds. I also found the fuses and none were bad. I need a wiring diagram to trace the wires. Im not sure how the autofeed box is getting a tach signal but the t

Problem is fixed the tach itself was fried. Had to buy a new tach through vermeer due to updated part numbers but you can buy it through other places that sell datcon tachs. Cost from vermeer was 340 dollars
Thanks for the update!
I found that it's best to source parts from the original mfg, whenever possible.
Needed to replace the drum bearings but with those Vermeer pricing was about the same as buying direct from their bearing supplier.

Latest posts

Back