BCMA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ISA was redoing their Board Certified Master Arborist (BCMA) and I was invited to be a beta tester last fall. They hadn't finalized scoring, etc... but said if once that was determined I had a passing score, I would be recognized with the Certification. It was half price and the retest would have been free as part of the "deal" if needed. I figured "why not give it a shot".

Found out today I am officially a BCMA. I think that and $12 can get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Plenty of people ask if I am a Certified Arborist. Never had a client ask if I am a BCMA, so I don't think it ads any market value, but a step of personal achievement.

Thanks for listening to my personal gloat of the day
yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif

It definitely adds personal achievement. As far as putting it in an ad...I wouldn't. Nobody knows what it is but us (well, some of us) and it would just take away from the words they do know...certified arborist. IMO, except for the personal achievement thing, it is a major waste of time unless you want to full time consult for mostly other companies.

Congratulations ATH!

I would certainty put BCMA in advertising, business cards, web site, etc. if I held it.

It may not bring you much work but the work it does bring will be good.

After 18 years as a CA I dropped it but I still hold respect for the CA and BCMA titles and the ISA.

Today I rely on established clients and am not out there chasing new ones. This changes the picture significantly.

Congrats on the certification! Don't worry if it won't net you more$ or anything else.
My opinion is that if it was important enough to you to pursue it and then you succeeded in that, then it was worth it.

Congrats on getting a BCMA. I was wondering about the test. How much more in depth is it from the ISA exam?

I'm afraid that much of my knowledge is too regional and I'm not very knowledgable about species I don't see. Is it regional or general?

Our local governments have effectively banned the use of synthetic (not 'natural') pesticides, so how detailed is the test on pesticides?

I've wanted to take the test, but was always scared off when the suggested reading was 'read every book written about arboriculture'.

Congrats ATH! Now don't go being like the other BCMA's that have been on AS and leave us. We are running out of good arborists on arboristsite! I have to go to that buzzy place to here from them these days.

It is a little hard to give a great feel for the exam...since it was a beta exam, there were some questions that won't be used again. There were, frankly, some terrible questions...some with bad wording, some with more than one good answer. I commented on all of those...

I didn't think it was too regional. There were some regional questions - but I'd say as many geared to the south and west. I recall one that had something about palm pruning that I had almost no idea...the only reason I had any guess was because of the some palm threads I accidentally opened here ;)

There wasn't anything about specific chemical such as "which product would you use here"...more general understanding of appropriate use.

I tried to brush up on a few things where I thought I was weak, but yeah...pretty worthless study guide they offer. I figured since the retest was included, I'd just give it a shot and figure out what I needed to study up on for the next time if it didn't work out. I'd say if you do a lot wide diversity of continuing education read articles and books here and there, and have the experience you will probably be OK. I think it helped that I did TRAQ a year ago...and a few other courses within the last year or two.

I'm assuming the test is multiple choice, single answer? Our CT arborist exam is that way. Pretty straight forward. I took the exam for ornamental and turf last year and it was multiple choice, multiple answer. That one threw me for a loop, had to take it a second time to pass.

Congratulations! That is absolutely something to be proud of. It shows a different level of seriousness about your craft. Plus you get free breakfast at the international conference. :) Now you have to set a new goal.

They even give you a BCMA ribbon to wear on your name tag. They put your name on the screen and make you stand up at the opening ceremony. It a big deal man. You should be super proud. I bet you'll get more calls from your fins an arborist listing too.

Thanks derwoodii! We'll see how those CEUs play out. I have never really watched my CEUs because I always have plenty just from workshops, etc.... I will probably start doing some more online stuff when it sounds interesting (and free) to make sure I stay ahead of schedule. I could see some difficulty in getting all hours in all domains.

Thanks derwoodii! We'll see how those CEUs play out. I have never really watched my CEUs because I always have plenty just from workshops, etc.... I will probably start doing some more online stuff when it sounds interesting (and free) to make sure I stay ahead of schedule. I could see some difficulty in getting all hours in all domains.

Thanks for prompting to me to getting back revisit to my ISA CEU page as i discovered im due this mid year,, gee time fly's ... by chance timing & knowing this have a 14 ceu 2+ day conference to go to next week and i just did a free online Tree Worker Safety course 2 ceu's value so unless i flunk im done diddly done :)

Many congratulations to you! I hope that the new test is better than the old one... I was able to pass the original test by the skin of my teeth.

As far as what it gets you...... From what I've found not a whole lot.... It does get you listed toward the top when searching for an arborist on the ISA website, so, that's good I guess.

It is very challenging to keep up on the CEU's- not only do you need twice as many, but they have to be in the proper category also. Some are more difficult to come by than others, and they don't necessarily tell you what category your credits go toward when attending conferences and such. I'm coming up on my second recertification this summer and I'm fairly far behind. ISA has also become very strict on what they allow for post-approval credit.... Don't get me started on that!

Nonetheless, nice job!

Latest posts

Back