Beaver damage, can I save my tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that tree is definitely "toast," it would be a absolute miracle if that tree stayed alive for more then 4 or 5 years. It definitely will not grow any bigger due to the lost of the cambium layer. Depending how far in the beaver chewed would determine how much strength the tree actually lost, so maybe your tree swing isnt a total loss. I would plant another tree ASAP and eradicate the beaver. Funny side story about a beaver...I live near a lake and we had a beaver problem 3 years ago but no one could find the beavers, and they were doing a ton of damage around the lake. They ended up being in this guys boat house but b/c he was never at his 85 acre, "eleventy billion" dollar estate he never realized it.

Newfie said:
I'm not against beavers, but I am surely against unchecked and uncontrolled beaver populations. I suppose when the local stream backs up and fills up the basement of an enviro-whacko, then maybe they will change the laws to allow for moderation.

Are you sure your Stihl dealer was the ****?

This we know
the earth does not belong to man;
man belongs to the earth.

This we know.
All things are connected like the blood
which unites one family.
all things are connected.
Whatever befalls the earth.

Man did not weave the web of life,
he is merely a strand in it.
Whatever he does to the web,
he does to himself