Been shoppin' skid-loaders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whitespider seams to no what he wants, I wont change his mind. I use a SS every day at work. Mainly on smooth concrete. does fine . When I have to do stuff on gravel or uneven ground I hate it. Some days I can't even walk after sitting in it for 14 hours. I would rather have a tractor for the offroad stuff. I can see way better on a tractor,plus I think they are handier and easier to get on and off of. Just add a carryall to the back with a bucket on the front and you can move a lot of wood. Just my 2 cents worth.

Beefie

P.S. what ever you buy ,we want pics or this thread is useless:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
WS, my two cents probably isn't worth two cents but here it is anyway. If you go small, try to get one with a self-leveling bucket. If you do you won't thank me because you won't even notice it, but if you don't you'll likely regret it. Lastly, in my very very limited experience tracks will greatly out perform wheels if you're digging. On other tasks it is pretty much ground dependent on which is the "best". Ron

You guys remind me of used car salesmen! I went in there one time, told the guy I wanted a truck for 5000 or less, just a basic truck with no bells or whistles, but 4 wheel drive.

Well, he starts showing me 10 to 20 thousand dollar trucks loaded to the hilt. So, I looked at him and said, you mean I can get those for 5G's? Oh hell no!

Spidey wants to spend 5G or less. You guys are saying oh, get a 60 HP one with tracks! And then you might as well port it and do a muffler mod to it too! Geez.

Or, better yet, you are wrong about what ya want! You need a tractor! lol If I remember right, this thread is not about which he should get, it's about what SKIDSTEER issues to look for! Bunch of goof balls for sure! Sure keeps the place entertaining though!

Ted

Yep... I've pretty much given-up on learning anymore from this thread about what "issues" to look for when shoppin' used skid loaders...
But I do appreciate the responses that did answer the question.

I have very little real "need" for a skid loader, I have absolutely zero "need" for a "bigger" skid loader, and if I "wanted" a tractor I would not have started this thread...
'Cause I already know tractors, I'd just go buy what I "wanted"!!

I wanted a small skid-steer to go where the bigger machines wouldn't fit or couldn't turn, so I got a Bobcat 543. It's ok for what I use it for, but it's really too small for most jobs. If it's going to be your only machine, you should consider something bigger. If I try to lift something heavy, it stands on its nose, and there's no place to mount a counterweight. It doesn't have the power or weight to force the bucket into hard ground or a stone pile. I find I use the tractor loader about 80% of the time. Where it won't fit, I use the Bobcat, and for heavy lifting I have a Cat 955 tracked loader.

The manoeverability and forward visibility are great. I have an inverted log splitter, and I'd never be able to position it with a tractor. It's also useful to be close to the bucket and be able to tell exactly where the edge is. I also have a front mounted hitch, and it's great for parking trailers or machinery.

A couple of comments on skid-steers in general: The lack of rear visibility is a real problem. There's no place to mount a rearview mirror, and having to have a spotter for close quarters work makes it a lot less handy for the kind of work it was designed for.

Being able to get on and off with the bucket raised is something you take for granted with a tractor, but it just doesn't work with a skid-steer, unless you have a walk-behind or that one-armed JCB. And you can't stand beside it to operate the loader either. I find I often have to get off the tractor to put a chain on something I want to lift, or pick up a log with the forks and cut it while it's clear of the ground, or shovel material out of the waist-high bucket because even the skid-steer won't quite get to the spot where it has to be dumped.

Latest posts

Back