beetles on willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may sound lie I'm kidding, but could you just ignore them?
They do chew on the leaves a bit, and can be an annoyance. I have two huge willows and just let the bugs have their way.
I don't bother them, they don't bother me (too much).
Otherwise you could check the label on Merit (Imidacloprid).

willow beetles

Hi Mike..

Thanks for your response. Mine is a fairly young tree (a corkscrew willow) and it looks really skaggy by July. Can the tree thrive with the brutal attack it receives from the beetles?

Thanks again,

Bub

Leaf problems don't get me too excited, they are mostly cosmetic. By having the leaves chewed off repeatedly there is a certain amount of stress on the tree and it will slow its growth. If it looks bad, then perhaps it is time for an insecticide.
I checked the label on Merit and it includes leaf beetles. It's just mixed up and poured on the base of the tree in fall. It moves up the tree slowly and systemicly, so the following spring when the beetle chews on the tree, they die.

We have a customer with an Elm that for years was covered with Elm Leaf Miners. Like you, their trees were all chewed up by mid-summer. The trees didn't look that bad but they noticed there was something chewing and wanted the bugs dead. So we sprayed. The tree was never so full and lush. The first time some high wind came through, the massive new canopy created so much sail area that the tree failed at a main crotch. The next day it was removed.

Back