Benefits of angled pruning cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are there benefits of using a angled pruning cut as opposed to a 90 degree cut?

the angle of the cut should be the same as the angle between the tree branch or stem and the bark ridge. There are a number of online resources for this from extension offices and universities. Try a google search.

You just have to use your noodle as to when to do or don't with that.
alot of my finer reduction work the angle goes along with the angle of the branch. Sometimes ,though...
The benifit? You get a better formed limb when it heals.

Last edited:
Ive seen some guys do major tree pruning and leave all the stubs angled no matter if the branch was horizontal or angled. Too me it just seems that your leaving a bigger area on the branch for the tree to close up.

Ive seen some guys do major tree pruning and leave all the stubs angled no matter if the branch was horizontal or angled. Too me it just seems that your leaving a bigger area on the branch for the tree to close up.

You wouldn't be refering to topping would you? Guys around here will top trees and make sure all the cuts are angled at a 45 degree angle to the ground. I tried to figure out why they do that and asked somebody one day. They told me that the water runs off so the tree doesnt rot. LOL Making those cuts all 45's...........tree care. LOL

And I had a really bad back this morning (twisted it a couple of days ago picking up a dog turd!), but when I climbed the tree I was working on the pain went away immediately. Tree certainly healed me for the day.

angle cut

The angle cut also helps when feeding the smaller chippers. It sounds as if you are not thinking this through, the angle cut is/has different uses/purposes. It is not, nor does it have to be the finish cut you leave. You may make it to avoid rips and tears or stripping the bark on a quick remove the limb cut but the finish that you leave to seal itself up can be a hand saw cut at the correct angle to let the tree work better at sealing it's wounds.

Latest posts

Back