best aftermarket cylinder kit for an ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeroskater58

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys, have read a lot through the search function n this, but havet gotten a definitive answer. i know cleaning up the oem cylinder is the best bet, but when i bought the ms660, it had an aftermarket cylinder on it, so i dont have the oem cylinder. looking to swap the big bore thats on it back to stock, just not really impressed with the big bore. ive got a want ad posted for an oem jug, and am keeping my eyes out for a used one, but i cant afford a new oem kit for 300 dollars or so. this saw is my dedicated milling saw, so was curious, what would you guys would feel good about putting on this saw as far as aftermarket goes if i am unable to locate an oem jug? thanks!

best would be a clean used factory cylinder

as i stated in my first post, i am aware a used oem cylinder is the best, i even have a want ad up for one, but i asked specifically about aftermarket kits, since i am not sure ill be able to find a factory cylinder. thanks.

Meteor @ $150 is your best bet
Hyway @ $100 is pretty good
NWP is slightly above all the other junk

Hyway has pop-up kits available if you swing that way.

whats the advantage, if any, to the pop up in a milling scenario? i know they create more compression, but wouldnt that create more heat too? forgive my ignorance, still learning here :)

whats the advantage, if any, to the pop up in a milling scenario? i know they create more compression, but wouldnt that create more heat too? forgive my ignorance, still learning here :)
More compression means a more violent explosion which means more torque. As long as you don't get detonation it only helps power.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I have the hyway cyl. with pop up on my 660 kit saw. It runs good. I bought it from a guy on this forum or the other one, can't remember. It was like $50 then I think.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Have a hyway on a441c.
More than happy with it.
Don't folks on oopeee site say meteor have poor port timing?

just did a search over there, seems to be a few threads that are sayin that..hmmm saving 50 bucks is sounding like they way to go for aftermarket

right on, seems like hyway cylinder, meteor piston gonna be closest as far as after market goes, seems a crap shoot whatever way you look with the aftermarket quality, though

in my experience any of the aftermarket cylinders will need ports cleaned up and base to squish band measured at all 4 corners with likely needing sanding. If you want to be cheap get a couple farmertec cylinder kits but use oem everything else including rings and wrist pin bearing. Hyway ports have weird timing that i have measured , meteor copies oem but needs cleanup and often ports widened. No experience using the titanikle hyway stuff yet nor have i read any feedback except not to port it due to flaking. Using it hard to mill will kill engines, expect aftermarket to last less time and make less power.

well there are company's that do this .......it's expensive these days
Yea I know a couple. Really. We used to get cr125 hondas done for under $100 and it looked better than factory but its bein awhile. I didn't know if it would be better to replace my factory jug vs any aftermarket ones since its got better numbers according to everyone here.

I got a round top 066 out of the junk yard and did some wheeling and dealing and ended up with a couple of top ends. The original jug was being cleaned up so I put an old farmtech cylinder and a Dukes saw salvage pop up in it.
It runs very well and for the price I wouldn't hesitate to mill with it.

Latest posts

Back