Best All Around Helmet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Posted this on TB, but thought I would here also.

What is everyones' opinion of the best all around helmet suitable for ground work, climbing, and has accessory attachment locations for muffs and face shield when needed? And of course the ability to stay on your head at all times.

For climbing, I use an ecrin rock by Petzl. It's great in the summer months, let's you run cooler. Winter? Simply add a thin liner and you can make it through almost any day. Also, it is attached to your dome so if you ever took a spill in a tree it won;t fall off rendering itself useless and you vulnerable. I feel it should be against regulation to climb w/o a helmet w/ strap. (is it now?)
I know there are other strap helmets, but I have never used them. The only complaint I have for the ecrin is that it doesn't have a sun visor.
As far as ground work goes, make sure you wear one. If you're comfortable, good!

The Pascific models carried by Fresco are my favorite. I sue them for on the ground or in the tree.

Several people I know who use a face screen all the time have them on their Kiwi pots.

The only thing you have to do with the Peltor style attatchemnts is trim a little bit off so the fit in the metric slots provided that come with the Pascific helmets.

I reccently got the Peltor PowerCom Plus FRS earmuff radios and they work very well with my Kiwi helmet

If you want a bill for the rock climbing helmets look for the neoprene ones sold for kayak helmets.

They velcro onto the front.

Pacific Helmet for me. Too bad they don't make them in pink :(

Tom

I got one of the PMI Kevlar helmets and it is the best helmet I've used in 18 years. little heavy but strong and comfortable.

Originally posted by wiley_p
I got one of the PMI Kevlar helmets and it is the best helmet I've used in 18 years. little heavy but strong and comfortable.

Same one we are talking about, Fresco rescently signed on as the importer for several models of dielectric helmets.

pacifc a new zealand company make a good hat its kevlar has a chin strap etc 10yr garantee

I love my Kiwi helmet. Great on the ground and in the air. About as heavy as the petzl roc.

I can say that I see the Kiwi staying in the truck more if I worked in TX with it. The Roc is a much cooler helmet.

With the Kiwi, my head gets pretty sweaty when temps get above 60F.

Mine is from Fresco. What type of ear muffs fit. I hear peltor makes 4-5 sizes.:confused:

Look back at the pacific helmet threads and you'll find that I sent mine back because I didn't want another hole in my head(bolt head in the back inside the helmet). But then I also have a large head. I got an ecrin roc and have been fine with it.

uv degradation?

How long would you guys use a helmet? At what point does uv degrade it to unsafe conditions? Going on 6 years w/ an ecrin rock...

How often do you work, dbeck. Six years would be enough for me to retire mine. But if you only work 1 day a week you might have some time left.

love
nick

I like to mark my helmets with the date. It serves a couple of purposes. 1- I don't have to guess when I put the helmet into use. 2- It serves as a reminder not to use that helmet for too long.

here's a pic. I marked this one by engraving the date with an engraving pen. Then I traced it with a Sharpie. I then wiped it with a damp cloth. This removed all the sharpie except the ink that was in the scratches of the engraving.

love
nick

Originally posted by NickfromWI
How often do you work, dbeck. Six years would be enough for me to retire mine. But if you only work 1 day a week you might have some time left.

love
nick

1st yr it was about every two to three weekends (in college). But since then it has been a 40 hr week helmet at work. That is why I asked, I never had anyone say what is good or bad.

hard hats dated

I don't know about the helmets you are using but all hard hats are dated and I am not sure but I think OSHA laws actually state that the helmet should be trashed every year or every other year.

again, I don't know if this applies to the helmets you guys use.

I use the orange deal with the mesh shield and muffs for grinding, also wear amber glasses under the mesh and catcher's guards to cover my ankles, shins and knees. The rocks and debris bounces right off.

After my ROC got stolen I started using a Bell BMX helmet as a cheap altertative. It is a little on the lighter side of the Petzel brain buckets, but it does have a cool velcro on sun visor, and ventilation holes. Yeah yeah yeah, I know its made for skate boarders and BMX bike trick gurus. but with the chin strap and the visor its a heck of a lot better than the standard ole hard hat.

Kenn

:Monkey:

Latest posts

Back