Best Chainsaw Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can buy stihl chains for less than 20 bucks in amish country. I use stihl files too. I don't have any problems.
I used to get woodland pro chains from bailey's, but they cost as much now and I have to pay shipping. They use to be decent chains.

I can buy stihl chains for less than 20 bucks in amish country. I use stihl files too. I don't have any problems.
I used to get woodland pro chains from bailey's, but they cost as much now and I have to pay shipping. They use to be decent chains.
Your Amish must be getting a better deal from stihl then the dealers around here, including the Amish ones. Haven't seen anything 20" plus under $20.00 in years.

I’ve been using trilingual files for anything I file lately and they are not horrible. I got a box of 50 on Amazon for like 18 bucks.
Which three languages do they speak? Or does it denote the manufacturing nationalities of the chains they'll sharpen? A link to the product on Amazon would be appreciated.

Which three languages do they speak? Or does it denote the manufacturing nationalities of the chains they'll sharpen? A link to the product on Amazon would be appreciated.
well, autocorrect and my inability to proof read seems to have gotten me again. Trilink brand files.

well, autocorrect and my inability to proof read seems to have gotten me again. Trilink brand files.
I figured as much, just couldn't resist the possibilities that the typo offered. Do you have a link to the 50-file offering on Amazon? I can't find anything like that.

I figured as much, just couldn't resist the possibilities that the typo offered. Do you have a link to the 50-file offering on Amazon? I can't find anything like that.
well, I just went back in my order history and clicked the link from last time I bought a box and the link is now selling a 12 pack. So I'm guessing they changed it.

Just cost me $26 and some change per chain. So about $7.00 cheaper then stihl 33rs72.
Try Stahls logging supply. Seems like they were around $18 / loop for C85 72. I run mostly 84 dl and it seems they were 19.50 / loop. I think you could pay shipping and still come out ahead. They have free shipping over $300, so if you've got some friends and could go in together, stuff get cheap in a hurry.

Try Stahls logging supply. Seems like they were around $18 / loop for C85 72. I run mostly 84 dl and it seems they were 19.50 / loop. I think you could pay shipping and still come out ahead. They have free shipping over $300, so if you've got some friends and could go in together, stuff get cheap in a hurry.
I'll have a look, I got 2 loops the other day, fairly impressed with how they look out of the box. I'd I like them on the 562 I'll grab some for the 24" bar as well.

As a hand filer, I get annoyed by China chains that have inconsistent rock hard cutters that ruin my files and end up costing more in files than a normal chain.

I don't like Stihl chains all that much for the same reason. Its debatable if they stay sharper longer, but are much harder on files especially new ones with the gullet so close you can barely get a file in. The old Husq/Oregon chain, used to hate how fast it got dull machine ground, but its a filer's dream. Too pad I paid clowns $5 a pop to ruin dozens of loops before I learned.
My sense, no doubt in my mind, is that the Stihl chains stay sharper longer. And I know this is not the answer for you as a hand filer, but my answer to that was a CBN wheel in a decent grinder after years of fooling with straight hand filing and every guide, jig or other type of tool known to man because I was afraid of burning cutters. CBN wheels do not burn cutters if you're not stupid with them.

Im a big fan of the swiss files pferd and vallorbe. They eat the steel and sharpen the cutters no matter the brand or hardness of chain in just a couple strokes and seem to stay sharp for a long time compared to oregon/trilink etc. I was throwing out oregons and triink files about every 6-8 uses!
I like oregon lp chain for cutting brush and wood under 8" diameter due to their smaller chisels that reduce bar/chain hop/bounce off the small stuff but their chains stretch badly and the chisels are soft requiring frequent re sharpening. after the first or second dulling as it almost seems like they coat or thinly plate the cutters and they are softer and dull faster after re sharpening.
Stihl has become a gold standard in chains, moderate stretch with cutters that are hard but not too hard to resharpen all the way to the end
So far I have been pretty happy with the forrester .325 skip chains I just got , a little softer than stihl and moderate stretching
Archer has kinda soft chisels on the one full comp loop I ran a few months back and stretched a hair more than stihl but less than oregon, easy to resharpen but clean the files more often.
Another cheap brand I like is tallox, you can get 3 20" for about 50-60 bucks with a bar and a length of starter recoil rope if you look around or just the 3 pack. The bars are soft and wear out fast but the chains are pretty decent with a little more than moderate stretch and decently hard chisels all the way through.
Tri link chains have above average stretch and the chisels seem to soften after a couple sharpenings.
These have been my experiences, yours may vary :drinking:

Latest posts

Back