Best Outdoor Wood Burner for 4000+ sp ft Home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in northern IL and own a 15 year old home that is moderately well insulated and is a little over 4000 sq ft. I have done quite a bit of research and am having a difficult time choosing which wood boiler to go with. I want to use my boiler to heat my home and water heater, but will just use LP gas during the warmer months. I am not mechanically inclined when it comes to these types of devices, but can do all the manual labor involved in cutting and splitting my wood. So, any advice on a system that will be reliable and not break down would be greatly appreciated- want to get the best for my money becuase once I spend this kind of moneyms my wife is really going to hate me for making this investment and having it not work out. Thanks.

You are going to get a lot of different responces here, but this forum generaly favors central boiler. When I was looking at boilers I drove myself nuts trying to figure out which one was best. 4 years later I am happy with my choice. Within a couple of miles of me I have friends that own 2 cb's, 3 woodwmasters, 1 hardy, and 2 hawkens, including my own. Everyone seems happy with there own boiler but the guy with the hardy says he needs to split his wood and takes more care with how he loads his stove. The rest of us just throw in whatever we have, most of the time unsplit. That said we live in a rural area where there is easy access to wood.

If you have access to a large amount of wood it is hard to beat the simplicity of a "standard" type owb. If wood access is going to be a issue or if you plan on buying most of your wood I would look hard at the larger e classic or the gasser made by portage and main. Plan on spending more time "processing" your wood with a gasser. Which ever way you go don't forget to factor in the cost of a high quality underground pipe. Plan to spend between $12.00 to $14.00 a foot for the good stuff. Good luck!

THere are all kinds of good products out there. Just be sure to get one large enough for a house your size. Smaller ones, from any manufaturer, will do the job. You will be feeding a smaller one more often than an adequate size OWB.

Make sure you keep ground water away from your underground piping.

Back