best saw to fill the void between an 019T an an MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpbowyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a newer MS362 with a 20" bar, it is the biggest saw I see myself needing with my small tree service. I also have an 019T that I got for free and quickly put a 12" bar on, It had a 16" which I found silly.

I'm looking to fill the void between them with a limbing and bucking saw a little bigger than the 019t. Something that can pull a 16" bar well. It has to be significantly lighter than my 362 (13lb), and more powerful than the 019T (1.9hp), otherwise I'd just use those.

I've ruled out homeowner saws after handling the STIHLs, and using my friend's husky. I'm sure they work for their purpose, but I'm using them for a few hours about once a week.

I'm really liking the ECHO CS-400 (10.1 lb, unlisted power) from the things I read on here, they come with an 18" bar though. Can I use my 16" stihl bars from the 019T and my broken-down 010? The price is right, especially new from Ebay, I wonder where they're all coming from? I have one of the mag-case ECHO trimmers, and I'm really impressed with the quality. It is definitely a professional piece of equipment with the oversized bearings and well thought-out trimmer head.

I think the MS 261 at $560 is a little expensive considering the ECHOs reputation, I understand that its 10 more CCs, but its the smallest rear-handle pro STIHL my dealer carries. The farm saws are about as heavy as my 362, so they're out.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the NIB ebay ECHOs, am I crazy? Is there a Husky I should be considering?

5I65H85Me3L13N33p0c75287ae3535a231bf4.jpg

How about a MS211? I was going to suggest a MS261 but I agree they are a bunch of $$$$

Steve

How about anything with an 02x or starts with 2xx stihl off the classifieds or swap meet here? That'll get ya in the ball park at half price new

There are plenty of lightly used 026 saws out there, and mine (unmodded) runs a 16-inch 3/8 .050 B&C with ease. About $200-$250 will buy you a strong and solid used 026 all day long on ebay or Clist or pawn shops. A pro class saw and forerunner of the 260/261, but still considered a modern design by everyone but Sawtroll. :)

I'd also stay with Stihl and stay with 3/8 .050 (I'm assuming that's what your 60cc Stihl wears). It's the brand you are familiar with so you don't have to learn a new saw brand, and that way you can swap out bars and chains in a heartbeat if needed.

I've had my current 026 a couple years, and it gets used to some degree on every tree job I do. Good oil, fresh gas, sharp and correctly tensioned chain, and it just keeps on going. If and when it wears out, I'll find another just like it.

Last edited:
If you want to keep it in the family, go and find a nice 026 or even a 260. Relatively light and good power.

I see StihlyinEly had the same idea as me, but was a minute quicker with the typing. So yeah, what he said.

026/MS-260 cant go wrong...i have a 260 pro that i use with my 362. Great power, reliability. And its nice and light, perfect for limbing and small stuff. I have heard good things about the 261 too.

Also, you can nab an 026 for $200, get it modded by one of the all stars here on AS, and have $450 into it. A modded 50cc saw will pull a 20-inch B&C nicely, will last years and years, and it's sweet not to have to bend over as far when limbing.

That's not brand specific, either. The 346 is a whoop-ass performer when modded. :)

You can't go wrong with a muff modded Echo CS400, 13# ready to cut, best handling saw made, cuts with a lot of 50cc saws, first pull starting, good qualty. Most of the saws mentioned are too close in wieght to your 362 to matter much, the 026 or 260 is one of the lighter 50cc saws but I'd guess the CS400 will cut right with it as mine cuts right with the 3.8hp MS290 which has to be over rated. Everyone I let usae the CS400 loves it. Steve

How about a MS211? I was going to suggest a MS261 but I agree they are a bunch of $$$$

Steve

My sentiments exactly. If he's looking for a new saw.
But looks like the majority favor the 026/260, which would fill the bill in that weight range.

You can't go wrong with a muff modded Echo CS400, 13# ready to cut, best handling saw made, cuts with a lot of 50cc saws, first pull starting, good qualty. Most of the saws mentioned are too close in wieght to your 362 to matter much, the 026 or 260 is one of the lighter 50cc saws but I'd guess the CS400 will cut right with it as mine cuts right with the 3.8hp MS290 which has to be over rated. Everyone I let usae the CS400 loves it. Steve

--no doubt, I think he just wants to keep all the bars and chains interchangeable, etc. There's something to be said for sticking with one brand and learning them well, accumulating parts/ parts saws and repair knowledge, etc.

Back