Best Selling Norwegian Book: Solid Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy26R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A whole country as obsessed with firewood as us.

I think someone had posted about the tv show, but I was happy to find the book that inspired the show to be coming out in English later this year.

Since august 2011, over 230 000 copies are printed in Norway and Sweden alone. The book is also published in Denmark, Finland, Germany and Estonia. Czech and UK/US editions will follow. It will be published in English in autumn 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/w...-tv-program-on-firewood-elicits-passions.html

http://www.larsmytting.net/In_English.html

No problem. I grew interested after seeing the TV show post. All I can find on the book in English is posted above. Amazon does have a pre-order for a book by the author titled "Norwegian Wood" coming out December 2015. Perhaps the English version has a different name. Not affiliated with any of this, just interested in a book about firewood and firewood lore.

Have the book and watched some hours of the tv program, the book is very good, but I read it in norwegian so how it will be in english is a another thing.

A whole country as obsessed with firewood as us.

I think someone had posted about the tv show, but I was happy to find the book that inspired the show to be coming out in English later this year.

Since august 2011, over 230 000 copies are printed in Norway and Sweden alone. The book is also published in Denmark, Finland, Germany and Estonia. Czech and UK/US editions will follow. It will be published in English in autumn 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/w...-tv-program-on-firewood-elicits-passions.html

http://www.larsmytting.net/In_English.html

That was interesting, thanks for posting. Many times, I've looked at our stack and felt a sense of satisfaction and security. Firewood is such a simple yet important thing. Kinda like a savings account on our back porch except it is worth more than money in the bank IMO. Our money could become worthless overnight yet our firewood would still have real world value.

One thing I find interesting when seeing pics of firewood from Europe is how small they split it. Just looks weird to me.

Smaller trees maybe

290fbe84b54dcee51277231f3124acfe.jpg

This tree hanging on my winch is a typical firewood size.

That was interesting, thanks for posting. Many times, I've looked at our stack and felt a sense of satisfaction and security. Firewood is such a simple yet important thing. Kinda like a savings account on our back porch except it is worth more than money in the bank IMO. Our money could become worthless overnight yet our firewood would still have real world value.

One thing I find interesting when seeing pics of firewood from Europe is how small they split it. Just looks weird to me.

Pretty much better built homes, tighter, way more insulation, and very good elitist energy efficient stoves, that don't have to be huge to work. They get by with less wood, smaller seasonal quantities and using smaller pieces. Plus their forests are managed, harvested at X size for best practices, mature, but young trees.

Our small Norwegian wood stove takes small splits and burns half the wood of our older VC stove for the same heat.

***UPDATE*** Amazon now has description and picture of book cover.

Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way Hardcover – September 15, 2015
upload_2015-6-5_9-12-7.jpeg
"The latest Scandinavian publishing phenomenon is not a Stieg Larsson–like thriller; it’s a book about chopping, stacking, and burning wood that has sold more than 200,000 copies in Norway and Sweden and has been a fixture on the bestseller lists there for more than a year. Norwegian Wood provides useful advice on the rustic hows and whys of taking care of your heating needs, but it’s also a thoughtful attempt to understand man’s age-old predilection for stacking wood and passion for open fires. An intriguing window into the exoticism of Scandinavian culture, the book also features enough inherently interesting facts and anecdotes and inspired prose to make it universally appealing. The U.S. edition is a fully updated version of the Norwegian original, and includes an appendix of U.S.-based resources and contacts."

Back