Best Tachometer for saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally got with it and bought myself a tach. Decided on the tech-tach 20K for multiple reasons - fast refresh rate, multiple modes for almost all types of small engines, replacable battery, competitive price. I bought direct from the manufacturer - nice folks, easy to deal with, shipped out fast. I tuned a saw today - it works excellently!

Some observations:
-refresh rate is FAST!!!
-the unit seems to be pretty robust.
-the unit needs to be held withing 4-5 inches of the spark plug wire for the best results.
-comes with a wired pick-up probe that is optional for hands free use, just clamp it on the plug wire.
-has a handy rubberized protective sleeve that it fits in.
-has 180,360 and 720 degree modes which means it works on just about ANY small engine out there.
-replacable 9volt battery, auto off 1 minute after the last signal was received.
-the only slight drawback about this unit is the size...approximately 3"x5". I am going to make a wrist strap for mine, or something similar so I can use it a bit easier and safer.

If you are on the fence, and want to buy only one tool to last you the rest of your days, this is the unit to have.

attachment.php

Well, I finally got with it and bought myself a tach. Decided on the tech-tach 20K for multiple reasons - fast refresh rate, multiple modes for almost all types of small engines, replacable battery, competitive price. I bought direct from the manufacturer - nice folks, easy to deal with, shipped out fast. I tuned a saw today - it works excellently!

Some observations:
-refresh rate is FAST!!!
-the unit needs to be held withing 4-5 inches of the spark plug wire for the best results.
-comes with a wired pick-up probe that is optional for hands free use, just clamp it on the plug wire.
-has 180,360 and 720 degree modes which means it works on just about ANY small engine out there.
-replacable 9volt battery, auto off 1 minute after the last signal was received.
-the only slight drawback about this unit is the size...approximately 3"x5". I am going to make a wrist strap for mine, or something similar so I can use it a bit easier and safer.

If you are on the fence, and want to buy only one tool to last you the rest of your days, this is the unit to have.

Atta boy! :clap: Some day I'll take the plunge too...:)

Kevin

Some observations:
-refresh rate is FAST!!!

I believe you got a good tach. I really like mine. :clap:
Most of my tuning is done in the woods, so I just lay the tach on the tailgate of my truck, and hold the saw close. This lets me use two hands on the saw.

Cheapy?

has any one tried the tach from amicks?

ENM PT15B2 2 cycle Tach Tachometer

I know it is v cheap, and doesn't have replaceable batt's but is it any good?

Steve

has any one tried the tach from amicks?

ENM PT15B2 2 cycle Tach Tachometer

I know it is v cheap, and doesn't have replaceable batt's but is it any good?

Steve

If it is the $20 one. They work but have a very slow refresh rate of 2.5 seconds. They are even accurate and have tested against my EDT-5 to make sure it was. After getting the EDT-5 my cheapie tach just sets unused.
There is even a old thread on testing it, I will go dig it up for you.

Here is the link where I tested the cheapie tach.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40725&highlight=cheapie+tach

Last edited:
still there

well, just ordered 3 of the cheap one's guess will eday the other 2 or just give them away. can't go wrong at £8.00 each!!

how many rpm?

Hello to all,

Yesterday I have received my new tachometer DTI-20K from USA. I am very happy with the purchase, is very fast and easy to use.:blob2: I have bought it in the manufacturer’s website and the purchase was perfect.:clap:

Now, I would like to know what do you think of it: I have fixed my 346xp(muffler mod) and you have to consider that I have spent approximately 3 gas tanks.
( see pic 13.200rpm). When the chainsaw is more run how many rpm do you recommend to fix it?:confused: :greenchainsaw:

Don't forget I am bad in English :rockn:
Tachometer346xp.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, no mention of the PET-2000DX here so far.

I got one from The Cutting Edge, and it works great as fasr as I can see - really small and handy as well....:)

I use it without the lead wire attached.

:clap: :clap:

Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead...

Mag58
Yes it tricky to hold it and tune the saw at the same time, but I tune the saw and then do some reading whit the Tach. And it seem to be at a lower cost in US, as always

I ended up getting this one after reading this post and it has worked out great.

At first though, it was reading some crazy numbers. 21,000-48,000-8,000 and so forth.

I figured out it was the shiny aluminum flywheel giving the false readings. It was reading everything and anything. I painted the flywheel flat black taking care not to paint the magneto and surrounding areas.

Kept one area between the fins unpainted and added the strip.

For someone on a budget, it's does seem to be a descent deal.

how do you use teh digital one? Take the flywheel cover off and put tape on then put it back on without screws and start then take cover off while running and test?
Matt

how do you use teh digital one? Take the flywheel cover off and put tape on then put it back on without screws and start then take cover off while running and test?
Matt

You're thinking about an optical tach that needs a piece of reflective tape to "see" something spinning and count the number of revolutions. I remember using them when I was a kid on the props of model airplanes. The tachs these guys are talking about pick up an electrical signal every time the spark plug fires and just need to be close to the saw, no disassembly needed.

ok, when they are talking about teh new ignition what d they mean? I have a 660 to a 032 but it has teh electric moduel and not points so will the tack work on these saws as well as the 039 ext...
Wich one is best for under $40
Matt

You're thinking about an optical tach that needs a piece of reflective tape to "see" something spinning and count the number of revolutions. I remember using them when I was a kid on the props of model airplanes. The tachs these guys are talking about pick up an electrical signal every time the spark plug fires and just need to be close to the saw, no disassembly needed.

The Mag58, Matt was asking about is a lazer tach that uses light instead of sensing the spark pulses.

Sorry, just noticed I'm a few years slow...... WOW!

Last edited:
Back