Best time to cut western cedar to avoid tannin stain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancouverbc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been cutting western cedar and Douglas fir in the spring so they peel easy but they turn black . Seems to be tannins as bleach does not affect the black. Have cut in winter and they don't go black. Want to use logs for gate posts and porch posts. Thanks.

I've been cutting western cedar and Douglas fir in the spring so they peel easy but they turn black . Seems to be tannins as bleach does not affect the black. Have cut in winter and they don't go black. Want to use logs for gate posts and porch posts. Thanks.
Preparing to do the same with some of my Cedars. I am going to apply some Daconil fungicide to the logs after peeling this time. If I am near a pressure washer I will blast off the sap to see if that might help. Good luck. I do know from experience that just letting the logs air dry does not work even in Summer. Chemicals used to supposedly prevent blackening are supposed to be applied after allowing the surface to dry which may be too late.

Back