best time to transplant trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently had an area cleared or some large white pines and would like to transplant some of the oak and maple saplings that are growing everywhere. What is the best time to do this and what is the best way to dig them up without damaging the root system. The saplings are maybe 2' to 4' tall. Thanks in advance for you help
Scott

most likely these saplings sound like "wild" saplings,,, if they are,,,good luck,,,if they are not,,,then the best times would be in october or the early spring,,,the maples are easier to transplant and the oaks are harder and most of the time do not like to be transplanted

most likely these saplings sound like "wild" saplings,,, if they are,,,good luck,,,if they are not,,,then the best times would be in october or the early spring,,,the maples are easier to transplant and the oaks are harder and most of the time do not like to be transplanted
agreed. The easiest way to transplant is to pull the roots out of the ground one by one then quickly take them to a prepared bed. The maples you can do now the oaks maybe, but their taproot will make it harder. 2-4' is small so you should do well if very gentle.

I recently had an area cleared or some large white pines and would like to transplant some of the oak and maple saplings that are growing everywhere. What is the best time to do this and what is the best way to dig them up without damaging the root system. The saplings are maybe 2' to 4' tall. Thanks in advance for you help
Scott

When transplanting any tree or shrub or perennial,
always water well, with liquid seaweed and water to prevent against
transplant shock.
This will help a lot !!!
;)

A wise man once told me to move plants in the fall. Then the roots have a chance to grow before the heat of summer.

Dr. Freidrich @ the Big "B"'s lab, had us plant 250 bare root Acer palmatums by dipping many of the group in agro-diamond, a super absorbent gel mixed with ordinary table sugar. The study concluded with a measureable decrease in stress symptoms/signs due to the readily available sugars.
The bulk of the study is published somewhere in the chronicals @ the lab facility.

Dr. Freidrich @ the Big "B"'s lab, had us plant 250 bare root Acer palmatums by dipping many of the group in agro-diamond, a super absorbent gel mixed with ordinary table sugar. The study concluded with a measureable decrease in stress symptoms/signs due to the readily available sugars.
The bulk of the study is published somewhere in the chronicals @ the lab facility.

Sounds like terra sorb.
This actually draws moisture to the roots which are dipped into it.
Great Idea.

Last edited:
Just curious as to whether it would be advisable to amend the soil PH before attempting all this as well? Could you maybe also pot the trees for a while and stabilize them, get a bit of a rootball going, then plunk the whole lot in? Dunno, askin'.

:cheers:

I've done TP'd alot of sugar maples of that size, I suggest not potting them until fall unless the site you are moving them to is difficult to bring water to. The other thing you may consider is going out and slicing into the soil as though you plan to dig them up, in order to stimulate a rooty mass, but leave them in place until next spring. I've done a few oaks and black walnut, and have had luck with only one.

Just curious as to whether it would be advisable to amend the soil PH before attempting all this as well? Could you maybe also pot the trees for a while and stabilize them, get a bit of a rootball going, then plunk the whole lot in? Dunno, askin'.

:cheers:

Instead of transplanting right now,
your better off just root pruning.
This will give the tree some time to develope feeder roots.
Make sure you use an English spade to prune the roots.
This is the one with the straight flat edge.
It will actually cut and not tear the roots like your typical rounded edge shovel.
Then this fall it should be ready for the transplant. ;)

Instead of transplanting right now,
your better off just root pruning.
This will give the tree some time to develope feeder roots.
Make sure you use an English spade to prune the roots.
This is the one with the straight flat edge.
It will actually cut and not tear the roots like your typical rounded edge shovel.
Then this fall it should be ready for the transplant. ;)

I used to run around with a tree spade on the ole Massey spading the rhizosphere and moving on to the next one for this very reason. The removal of the growth hormone, auxin, will stimulate adventitious root growth. Same as bonsia collectors pinching the meristems for more compact, fuller plants.

Latest posts

Back