BETTER chainsaw chain file handle option

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am surprised I have not seen this tip yet on this site, but I thought I would give my 2 cents on what I think works better than the typical orange or wood file handles...It is ergonomically better for me to file with a golf ball as a handle vs the 'straight wrist' run of the mill file handles...You can drill a hole nearly the entire diameter of the golf ball and stick the file in that and it holds well and the round golf ball fits nicely in the palm of my hand and relieves stress on my aging wrist and works better for me when filing. It is also a good excuse to use some of the 'pink'and fluorescent golf balls that we find while looking for our tee shots out in the woods of the golf course that have accumulated over the years! lol Hope this helps!
View attachment 1682459743277.jpeg

I am surprised I have not seen this tip yet on this site, but I thought I would give my 2 cents on what I think works better than the typical orange or wood file handles...It is ergonomically better for me to file with a golf ball as a handle vs the 'straight wrist' run of the mill file handles...You can drill a hole nearly the entire diameter of the golf ball and stick the file in that and it holds well and the round golf ball fits nicely in the palm of my hand and relieves stress on my aging wrist and works better for me when filing. It is also a good excuse to use some of the 'pink'and fluorescent golf balls that we find while looking for our tee shots out in the woods of the golf course that have accumulated over the years! lol Hope this helps!
View attachment 1077821
I generally just use random sticks...
IF I could stomach golf, I'm sure I would repurpose the balls for many things... but I'd have to be near a golf course long enough to start cutting trees down... and that would probably get me in trouble

This might help you keep your bar scrench handy if you dont have your side pocket double fronts on...Just a piece of vinyl tubing attached to the handle with enough resistance to keep scrench from sliding out. Some reflecive tape on them make it easier to find in the brush. BTW, there is a story behind this motosaw that unfortunately killed a local tree topper [IE no chainbrake option] and I will tell you on the next log load--:chainsaw:👍
View attachment 1682473645335.jpeg

This might help you keep your bar scrench handy if you dont have your side pocket double fronts on...Just a piece of vinyl tubing attached to the handle with enough resistance to keep scrench from sliding out. Some reflecive tape on them make it easier to find in the brush. BTW, there is a story behind this motosaw that unfortunately killed a local tree topper [IE no chainbrake option] and I will tell you on the next log load--:chainsaw:👍
View attachment 1077892
single fronts for me... have to special order em straight from Key lol.
But yeah, I lost a saw wrench to concert security last week... NBD cause I have dozens of em scattered about the place.

single fronts for me... have to special order em straight from Key lol.
But yeah, I lost a saw wrench to concert security last week... NBD cause I have dozens of em scattered about the place.

Son lost a knife. Concert security told him to hide it and get it on the way out.
He did not hide it good enough, it had evaporated when he looked under the bush outside later. If that was me, Now days I would not remove my knife to go to a concert. (really need to take some artillery for protections now days)
Seen Archie Bunker few days ago on TV say we would not have air line hi jackers if the airlines would give everyone guns when boarding a plane instead of taking them away. (makes sense to me) ;)

I suspect security watched him hide it. ;) :buttkick:

Son lost a knife. Concert security told him to hide it and get it on the way out.
He did not hide it good enough, it had evaporated when he looked under the bush outside later. If that was me, Now days I would not remove my knife to go to a concert. (really need to take some artillery for protections now days)
Seen Archie Bunker few days ago on TV say we would not have air line hi jackers if the airlines would give everyone guns when boarding a plane instead of taking them away. (makes sense to me) ;)

right cause firing a pistol into a crowd of innocent bystanders is the right thing to do. maybe yer better off staying home?

I agree. The dimples on the ball provide grip, the 'palm down' is more ergonomically sound [for me at least], the rubber inner windings of the ball keep the file in place, etc.

I almost had a run in with this big fella last snowfall! There are more big kitty cats here, now, than ever before. LED worn headlamps are the best warning I can have at night. Seeing those large amber eyes in advance helps bigtime! He has no time for small game and only goes for the biggest he can find!
1682572546970.jpeg

Nicholson makes a screw-on handle that I’ve started using. Different size openings for different files. I’ve got a bunch that I’ve been selling that fit the typical round file tang, as well as the Vallorbe double bevel and 3-square files. Model PH2 works for those - I’ve found the PH4 works well for the Vallorbe chisel bit, Pferd chisel, and most 6-8 inch raker files.

C161DAB1-91F5-436E-8828-E99481F560EA.jpeg
2E48305F-345E-4AD3-893D-7411CDAAD756.jpeg
B69B3F83-9B13-4850-8883-6C402662290B.jpeg373C1DB9-C887-488F-B3FE-BAA0ED5FAD6C.jpeg

Quality looking filo's [files]. Are swiss made better than German or Japanese steel?
I’ve tried a lot of them - I actually preferred the Stihl branded round files (German) until I tried Vallorbe (Swiss), and now that’s all I use. When they talk about the Vallorbe ‘bite’ compared to others, I noticed it after the first use. Haven’t had a bad one yet, either.

I almost had a run in with this big fella last snowfall! There are more big kitty cats here, now, than ever before. LED worn headlamps are the best warning I can have at night. Seeing those large amber eyes in advance helps bigtime! He has no time for small game and only goes for the biggest he can find!
View attachment 1078081
I just talked to usfs cop yesterday and he thought this kitty is 180lbs +

I know that my grandpa used to fly with Smith & Wesson snub nose in .22lr, tucked in his cowboy boot. I think that pistol was ALWAYS in his boot.

Back