Bi-Directional Notch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice bit of rigging. When and if you get to be Murphy's age you should have surpassed his skill... and hopefully , be just as fat, cause dude, well, don't they pay you enough to buy some food?

Kind of cool and all, but seems awful labor intensive setting up all that rigging. I would worry it could rip that little piece of holding wood that is left at the end and get crazy. Still it shows some thinking out side the box.
I think it could of maybe been done quicker and safer using other methods.
I have wondered about using a cut like that my self a time or two. Thanks for posting.

Kind of cool and all, but seems awful labor intensive setting up all that rigging. I would worry it could rip that little piece of holding wood that is left at the end and get crazy. Still it shows some thinking out side the box.
I think it could of maybe been done quicker and safer using other methods.
I have wondered about using a cut like that my self a time or two. Thanks for posting.

It was more of an exercise, than a necessity. Proof of concept if you may. Thanks for the feedback!

Nice bit of rigging. When and if you get to be Murphy's age you should have surpassed his skill... and hopefully , be just as fat, cause dude, well, don't they pay you enough to buy some food?

I dont know what I am looking at here, but the 2 words that come to mind are 'white trash'

Screen%2Bshot%2B2013-02-21%2Bat%2B8.36.56%2BPM.png

Might work but I'll try it in the woods on a tree not a little sapling that could be

pulled over by hand, if it will work on a grown tree it may come in handy someday. I can't think of a situation where I would use it, off the top of my head, but it's another technique to learn. Thanks for posting.

You've got so much to learn mate. Murph has already perfected the unidirectional notch... it can go any direction!

As others already pointed out, that sort of cut ain't gonna work on a lot of trees. The second face cut doesn't really have a hinge at all, you've cut all the sides and holding wood out of it, so the tree is likely to roll out. Especially if it already favors rolling one way in the crown. For rigging situations like that, I've used a similar technique, but putting the notches one above the other, not combined. Try to keep them close, or the leverage can kick the bottom 'leg' out. Cut both notches, then make the back cut on the lowest one first, then the top one.

For straight falling, there are so many variations on notches and cutting sides out early to get swing, or twist. You can't bank on any of them though.

Shaun

It was a nice video, but alot of rigging and time wasted. Probably could have just used one line and pendelemed it to the same place or just used your grcs to take out the tree in like 3 picks.

One notch in the right direction with all that rigging would of done the same thing and been a hell of a lot safer. I give an "A" for effort and an "E" for theory.

Back