Bids/Sales techs and ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With busy season upon us thought might rehash anybody's ideas on sales techniques and equipment.

For the first time ever I went from single forms (double sided) on a clip board with carbon paper to 3 part quote/contract forms. MAN....whot a diff. Show up, flap the lips a little, part company with the ho...then presto enter the truck and return with a done deal. Leave the pink copy in the truck.

Either they sign, sit on it for a while and mail it back later or go to the can and wipe their posterior with it. Whatev,,, I am done...no mailing or forgetting to mail with them impatiently waiting. Donedy.

Get an iPad they have big screens now youll be able to read it. Paper is easily lost.

One trick I learned early is timing is every thing
i also learned to have my answer machine encourae them to call me on my cell phone'
I check my caller Id every day to make sure thay didn't suddenly get bashful.
i have picked up several jobs like this.

I get to the job asap. I show up ready for action. That is fully dressed, equiped with my card in hand. First I ask them how the found me. Than I always ask the home owner what he thinks the job is woth? Often times they will cite a number that is higher than I was going to bid. If they are too high I knock a little off. When they say "When can you do it? I say "Right Now" I can make more money on one trip to the site rather than two. Then I tell them they are going to have pyle of chips when I get done. but I will pitch fork it back in the hole and rake it in a pyle. Then I blow off the sidewal, patio. ect. If they want a price for removal I quote it. But it is a heck of a lot of work especially if it is a gigantic root ball blow over. I just purched asmall Bobcat and a dump trailer to haul it in.

I love my Carlton 7500 turbo diesel tow behind with wireless remote I also love those big 15' high by 20' wide root ball jobs.
Good Luck and be safe
Kenny

Might not be a bad idea to find out what the job is worth to the customer but I never let them tell me what it is worth... I have been in this biz a long time and know what it is worth... might not be worth it to them but I know what my costs and worth is. Another thing is it is nice to be able to show up to every job and be ready to go to work but when you get booked out and have a schedule in front of you you might be spending an entire day doing estimates for the upcoming week. If you get really busy you might have a crew or two or five out in front of you and spend everyday doing estimates... That's when you will know what you are worth. ;)

I just throw numbers at em til they either bite or say " git off my lawn!" Then I scribble some stuff down soes we both have copies of what I said. If they try to bargin me down I jess say something smartassed like: " ya got a better chance of seeing God", " I have an idea, you do it" or " I am addicted to eating so no"

Thats funny try one of theseView attachment 229153

had a guy yesterday wanted to get a price to trim this big ugly ball moss dead woody live oak in front and over his house and I am working next door and I'm thinking 6 or 700 and he said these guys were coming round offering to trim for 100 per tree, i decided to bid it at 900 to make sure i didnt get it, told him I would bid it when i came down for lunch, dont think i will even bid it will offer to sell him every thing for 25-30K and let him save the 400 on his ugly mispruned dying live oak, to funny.
How about never, will never work for you.
Paul

One thing that I need to do for bids...............get to them! My phone has been ringing non-stop. Last 2 days I have been going real hard, trying to finish this big prune job,when I get home, I have no energy to go back out and bid anything.

Howdy Never said a word about the HO telling me what he thinks it is worth. The reason I ask the HO because maybe some body bid $500 on a $300. stump. They probaly had a small grinder and had to bid that much to make any money. Where as I know I can make money at $300, But I can now bid $400. and make an extra $100. and still save the Ho a $100.00. And every one is happy.

Might not be a bad idea to find out what the job is worth to the customer but I never let them tell me what it is worth... I have been in this biz a long time and know what it is worth... might not be worth it to them but I know what my costs and worth is. Another thing is it is nice to be able to show up to every job and be ready to go to work

Yes it is because I work alone and when I have the work I work 7 days a week till dark. I do not have to have work way ahead because I can keep up with the work flow especially with day light savings time. You tree guys have my utmost respect I see the challanges you have every day. I didn't mean to offend I am just stating what works for me.Be safe my friend.

but when you get booked out and have a schedule in front of you you might be spending an entire day doing estimates for the upcoming week. If you get really busy you might have a crew or two or five out in front of you and spend everyday doing estimates... That's when you will know what you are worth. ;)

I been doing some searching on the android market. I am leaning towords getting mobile quickbooks for my tablet. It will connect my tablet and my home computers quickbooks together, and also provide online backup. I will have all my client contact info with me, be able to see invoice and create them on the road. I will be able to create estimates and email / print them on a mobile printer. I need to be able to print estimates, because my hand writing seems to be getting harder to read.

I have been looking for a tree diease app too, instead of having to drag books with you, but havent found anything great yet.

I got the samsung galaxy tablet, because it is was only $229 verse over $500 for a ipad. The screen is slightly smaller.

Did anyone buy one of those mobile printers with the battierys?

I think just taking time and listening and letting people talk is great for sales. Been working for me for decades. Sometimes I think they call me just to talk and find out some local gossip. I could write a book...

ch ching...another sale

I been doing some searching on the android market. I am leaning towords getting mobile quickbooks for my tablet. It will connect my tablet and my home computers quickbooks together, and also provide online backup. I will have all my client contact info with me, be able to see invoice and create them on the road. I will be able to create estimates and email / print them on a mobile printer. I need to be able to print estimates, because my hand writing seems to be getting harder to read.

I have been looking for a tree diease app too, instead of having to drag books with you, but havent found anything great yet.

I got the samsung galaxy tablet, because it is was only $229 verse over $500 for a ipad. The screen is slightly smaller.

Did anyone buy one of those mobile printers with the battierys?

I got 2 copies of Chris Luley's "Wood Decay Fungi". One in the office and one in the truck.

Latest posts

Back