Big America chestnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a specific way to tell it’s a American chestnut? Arborists told the homeowner it was a American
The nuts are edible.

@buzz sawyer question was a good one for anyone who knows the history of the American chestnut and the chestnut blight which devastated the species.

It was a most valuable tree which provided excellent lumber that was very rot resistant. Besides that the edible nuts were a mast crop used by many animals and humans. At one time it made up ~25% of the canopy of eastern American forests. Someone once said a squirrel could start in Georgia and go to Maine, never touching the ground, using chestnut trees.

There is an effort by many trying to find blight resistant trees that are still alive, and breed them to revive the species

https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=CAAM2

The Fight Against Blight

The American Chestnut Foundation

Really nice man!

Beautiful!!

Is the wood for you or are you selling?

Also cool to see the kid with ya. Hope he had fun and learned a bit👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻.

The nuts are edible.

@buzz sawyer question was a good one for anyone who knows the history of the American chestnut and the chestnut blight which devastated the species.

It was a most valuable tree which provided excellent lumber that was very rot resistant. Besides that the edible nuts were a mast crop used by many animals and humans. At one time it made up ~25% of the canopy of eastern American forests. Someone once said a squirrel could start in Georgia and go to Maine, never touching the ground, using chestnut trees.

There is an effort by many trying to find blight resistant trees that are still alive, and breed them to revive the species

https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=CAAM2

The Fight Against Blight

The American Chestnut Foundation
thanks!!!!!

If anyone is interested... American Chestnut Foundation
https://acf.org/
I've got a couple chestnut trees in my yard. I sent samples of leaves and nuts to ACF to find out if it was a hybrid American/Chinese or just Chinese. They advised it's a hybrid... the chestnuts are smaller than a pure American chestnut would yield. Unfortunately the trees attracted an ever growing number of Asians who completely lacked boundaries... They'd be out there at 6 AM and at 10:30 PM with flashlights. They were also in my dentist neighbor's yard tromping through his landscaping looking for chestnuts that fell from my tree. His wife was perfectly willing to file trespassing charges if it continued... I told various groups of the trespassers to stop and allegedly they couldn't speak English... Who wants strangers in your yard and in the landscaping next to your house at all hours of the day and night?! I finally posted my yard and spoke with the police. The first night it was posted there was a guy out there with a flashlight... I called the cops but he split before the cops got there... The human invasion finally stopped so my son, the deer, and the squirrels had the nuts to themselves. The catkins and burrs are a hassle but the nuts are nice!

Here's a pic pf both. Top is Chinese Chestnut, bottom is American Chestnut. The latter is somewhat darker because of the age, also a little wormy. The Chinese Chestnut was growing on slant and has some really nice curly figure, not too visible in the pic.

Attachments

• chestnut.jpg
    chestnut.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
If anyone is interested... American Chestnut Foundation
https://acf.org/
I've got a couple chestnut trees in my yard. I sent samples of leaves and nuts to ACF to find out if it was a hybrid American/Chinese or just Chinese. They advised it's a hybrid... the chestnuts are smaller than a pure American chestnut would yield. Unfortunately the trees attracted an ever growing number of Asians who completely lacked boundaries... They'd be out there at 6 AM and at 10:30 PM with flashlights. They were also in my dentist neighbor's yard tromping through his landscaping looking for chestnuts that fell from my tree. His wife was perfectly willing to file trespassing charges if it continued... I told various groups of the trespassers to stop and allegedly they couldn't speak English... Who wants strangers in your yard and in the landscaping next to your house at all hours of the day and night?! I finally posted my yard and spoke with the police. The first night it was posted there was a guy out there with a flashlight... I called the cops but he split before the cops got there... The human invasion finally stopped so my son, the deer, and the squirrels had the nuts to themselves. The catkins and burrs are a hassle but the nuts are nice!
In the past, we've harvested nuts from Chinese Chestnuts at our camp. While in storage, we noticed small white worms coming out of the nuts and were told an insect layed their eggs in the flowers and the worms grew inside the nuts. I was never able to confirm this but we never saw any entry holes. The trees are 60+ years old. One came down in a storm around 5 years ago - 24" diameter at the base. Because the tree was growing at an extreme slant, the wood began to split as soon as it was cut. I was able to salvage some short pieces that seem to be solid.

In the past, we've harvested nuts from Chinese Chestnuts at our camp. While in storage, we noticed small white worms coming out of the nuts and were told an insect layed their eggs in the flowers and the worms grew inside the nuts. I was never able to confirm this but we never saw any entry holes. The trees are 60+ years old. One came down in a storm around 5 years ago - 24" diameter at the base. Because the tree was growing at an extreme slant, the wood began to split as soon as it was cut. I was able to salvage some short pieces that seem to be solid.
Yeah... worms are a problem. If you soak the nuts in water for a few days it will kill them... 😉 I've salvaged some branch wood and made small keepsake boxes from them.

I know of a couple of chestnut trees in the area; gathered nuts a few times and always had worms in them. I was hoping to get a few started on my property. If soaking them in water kills the worms, is there a chance the nuts will germinate? Or are they still edible?

Once at a yard sale where there were chestnuts in the yard, the homeowner said you really don't want chestnuts as yard trees.

I know of a couple of chestnut trees in the area; gathered nuts a few times and always had worms in them. I was hoping to get a few started on my property. If soaking them in water kills the worms, is there a chance the nuts will germinate? Or are they still edible?

Once at a yard sale where there were chestnuts in the yard, the homeowner said you really don't want chestnuts as yard trees.
Probably not the best yard tree. Some don't care for the smell of the flowers and the prickly hulls hang around for a while - not good with bare feet.

They are edible from what we've experienced. I end up with volunteer chestnut trees in my shrub beds every year... however, I cannot say if there were worms in those nuts.

They are messy for sure... I recall burrs littering a yard I mowed as a kid. I have no idea if they were American or Chinese trees. The property had been a pig farm until the early '50s and there were still barns, vegetable gardens and fruit trees on the property though all suffered from neglect.

As I understand it, the trees on my property were from nuts picked up from a couple trees located at a house where they were planted as ornamental trees in the late '50s or early '60s. I know the house well... the first girl I ever kissed lived there.😁 Her father was a neurosurgeon who had hired help for things like yard work. As such, he could enjoy the cycle of leaf out, catkins, burrs, etc. without experiencing them physically!

Latest posts

Back