Big Jack Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod1950f1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at a Big Jack locally used. The guy doesn't know much about it but thinks it is low use and about 10 years old. Has anything changed compared to the new ones, is there a way to tell the age, what is everyones experience with them? They seem like a good stove, I am looking for something more efficient then the 30 year old royall in my basement right now.

thanks
Joe

except for a few of the newer hightech furnaces like US Stoves Caddy, energy king 385, and I think blaze king, none of the others including Yukon, makes a very efficient unit. I wouldnt the one your looking at would be much better than what you have now. I know you said used, but dont expect less wood usage with it.

except for a few of the newer hightech furnaces like US Stoves Caddy, energy king 385, and I think blaze king, none of the others including Yukon, makes a very efficient unit. I wouldnt the one your looking at would be much better than what you have now. I know you said used, but dont expect less wood usage with it.

well if that isn't a bunch of hooyey....

We pioneered the use of gassiers in wood furnaces better than 35 years ago.We actually had it patented for some time in our Eagle line of furnaces.
That Jack installed as per the manual will burn half of the wood most of those older other furnaces use as well as a bunch of the newer furnaces on the market.
Make sure that you install a barometric draft regulator in the flue and set it with a manometer to .03" of water column .The flue should be 6"

That furnace normaly will last 30 years for most customers.
Any parts needed can be bought from us.
If you need any tech service you can also call us toll free.800-358-0060 or go to our website for the manual.
www.yukon-eagle.com

We will also honor it's warranty.

Oh I forgot, you work for Yukon. Really dude tell the truth. How come yukon hasnt come up with an EPA cert yet? You know truthfully, I think the yukon is a very good well made furnace for a wood eater. I had A charmaster a few years back, and my buddy has a yukon add on, I think a big jack, not sure on that one. Both worked well but both were smoke dragons and consumed wood like Crazy. Its the nature of the beast

Hooie

Forgot to add my house is a new cape cod 1800 sq ft. very well insulated. 9 cords a year. tried a series hook up and then went to a conventional install, didnt make much difference. properly sized supply and return.

Last edited:
I am not looking for a large cut in wood consumption, but better heat output for the wood I am putting in. The wood furace I have now is near burned out, is developing some cracks, and quite honestly doesn't seem to put out the btu's I would expect no matter the kind of wood, or outdoor temperature. I am burning dry wood, clean chimney etc...... SO does anyone have actual experince with a Big Jack or not.

the caddy is EPA certified and has true secondary burn technology

I bought a Big Jack late last year, turned the gas valve off on the propane sucker on the 26th of December and lit the fire. I burned a little over 2 1/3 cord from then until spring, and I live in an old, very drafty,poorly insulated farm house. I had the windows open more than a few times till I learned how much wood was needed for differences in the temps outside.

my intrest in this furnace comes in the asking price being under 1/3 new and supposed low use. I just don't have the money for a new furnace.

Our Super Jack was installed late last month. I do not have the blowers wired up yet but have been heating the upstairs of my house on the cool evenings via gravity. Without the combustion blower and heat circulation blower the heat just pumps out of my vents on small hot fires. I cant wait to see what this beast does to our 3200 sq ft house this winter with the blowers and thermostats hooked up. I am anticipating O propane usage once I get it cranked up.

Good Luck.

I am not looking for a large cut in wood consumption, but better heat output for the wood I am putting in. The wood furace I have now is near burned out, is developing some cracks, and quite honestly doesn't seem to put out the btu's I would expect no matter the kind of wood, or outdoor temperature. I am burning dry wood, clean chimney etc...... SO does anyone have actual experince with a Big Jack or not.

I think you already know your answer based on your reasons above that you should buy that furnace because it meets all your requirements. I'm sure its not the most efficient out there but it surely is better built than the U.S. Stove furnace I use and am happy enough using the same qualifying factors. If I had to do it over again after happily burning wood for a few years I would have bought something better but at the time I didn't have a lot of extra cash, and frankly didn't know that I would enjoy burning wood as much as I have to spend the extra money. Buy that furnace if the price is right and the condition is right and don't look back.

Now go to the chainsaw forum and use all your savings to buy the latest and greatest saw you can't resist! (At least that's been my downfall!) Cheers.

my intrest in this furnace comes in the asking price being under 1/3 new and supposed low use. I just don't have the money for a new furnace.

How can you go wrong? If you use it this year and don't like it, sell it next year for what you paid.

I bought a Big Jack late last year, turned the gas valve off on the propane sucker on the 26th of December and lit the fire. I burned a little over 2 1/3 cord from then until spring, and I live in an old, very drafty,poorly insulated farm house. I had the windows open more than a few times till I learned how much wood was needed for differences in the temps outside.

Thankyou!

Oh I forgot, you work for Yukon. Really dude tell the truth. How come yukon hasnt come up with an EPA cert yet? .

Because the EPA does not have a U.S. standard for testing yet.
It is being developed as we speak. There was just a meeting to clear up some of the language in the new ASTM proposed testing criteria.
We (YUKON) are apart of the group involved in creating this new standard.Although some of it will be borrowed from the Candian B-415 standard there are some varibles being worked through and supplied to Mr. Wood from the EPA whom is the head of the group that the EPA has working to provide the U.S. manufactures with the proper data. The new rulings are due out for acceptance next fall and the compliance will need to happen starting 2012 ,however since there will be major amounts of captial needed for the EPA testing and subsequent relisting with UL you should expect all wood burning appliance which will include anything that burns wood,coal,pellets in stoves,furnaces,fireplaces to be much more expensive to cover costs of the compliance.
Many I'm afraid will go out of business.

So Twincam...things are not as blatantly clear as you may be assuming.
To also imply I'm a liar...well you just made another mistake. It seems like you make a habit of this type of judgemental errors.

Last edited:
I was dealing with a customer in our forum.He was having manometer issues ,but figured out the problem...anyway he goes on to say...

by JoJo2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks again for your help. I found that one of the tube holes on top of the manometer was plugged. After unplugging, it worked like a charm!

I also installed the 6" air intake as specified.

I have to tell you, after using an Oneida Royal add on wood furnace for the past 25 years, this Yukon setup is incredible! We literally had to set our clock for every 3.5-4 hrs with the Oneida Royal but now, we are actually sleeping through the entire night! My wife and I love it and am looking forward to the projected colder than normal winter!

Back