Big Oak in a Bad Place

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaBeArborist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an oak tree that is about 3 feet in diameter and in a bad place. It's 2-3 feet from a propane tank, about 50 feet from a house, and about 20 feet from a shed. The other directions from the tree are covered by woods. There is room for a truck or two to get between the tree and the house. The pics should show more than I can describe. How much would it cost to get this tree taken out? How can I tell if it's healthy so that it won't fall into the house? Will the propane tank have to be moved to remove the tree? Will the result sawlogs from this tree be worth anything?

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to site,tree looks like it needs some pruning of some deadwood but looks ok from pictures. Tree does not look like it is in a bad place, just a lot of bad stuff put around the tree. Looks like a solid tree in pictures, would suggest getting a pro to evaluate tree on site, since its very hard to check overall condition of tree from computer chairs, or milk crates for some. :)

Why would you want to remove the tree? If removal is the course your family has decided on---I can't see everything in those pics. The propane tank is an inconvenience-not an insumountable obstacle. There appears to be room to fell the trunk and at least part of the toppast the tail of the tank, away from the shed and out into the yard. Without pictures that encompass more of the entire scene it is very hard to tell how much of the top would have to be removed prior to felling. The worth of the butt log is highly depentent upon the market in your area. it looks like there is a millable log there but it may be worth more as firewood if noone wants one log very badly.

The sole reason for wanting to fell it is the amount of stuff it could hit if it did fall. I think the tree is solid for now, but I'm looking at future problems, and what to do to prevent them. Should I be able to tell when the tree shows signs of weakening? How?

Thanks

Where did this paranoia about that tree falling down come from??

That tree is not going to fall down, it is a very young Red, Black or Scarlet Oak and in good health, has many many decades to go before anything serious is going to endanger the health of that tree that it might make it unstable, unless you make drastic changes to the landscape around it.

The only defect in that tree that leaps out to me is that large lower limb on the left with the included bark and narrow attachment to the main stem or leader. Personally , I wouldn't worry about that either, if it did break it would probaly stay attached to the tree at the stem and not hit the tank.

If you want to do something for that tree get rid of some of those scrub trees around the base of it that compete for water and soil nutrients. Doing this will help the Oak to continue to play it's role as the dominant tree and offer you it's cooling shade on a hot summer's day.

Many people would sell their first born to have a tree like that on their property, but you think it needs to be cut down, just doesn't make sense to me why people get these notions to cut down perfectly good trees.

Larry

It sounds like I made a problem out of nothing. I love the tree, but I was falsely thinking that it was a risk to have there. The paranoia probably comes from a silver maple (yeah, I know it's not as strong as oak) that came inches away from seriously damaging my house, a dead oak at the house in the pictures that took off some guttering, and another silver maple that was uprooted and came close to hitting this same house.

So....for future reference, are oak trees generally going to be fine as long as they are still alive? Will live black walnut trees also pose no threat to surrounding structures? What should I look for on all trees to find signs of structural weakness?

Thanks

Blanket statements always invite exceptions but as a general rule-Oaks of just about any variety and Black Walnuts seldom suffer catastophic failures while they are alive and healthy. There natural growth conformation and high strength characteristics tend to minimize failures.

I also agree in not taking down the tree. As well, some of the scrubbling trees around the area could be removed. If the tree does need to be dead-wooded, or whatever course of action you you take, feel free to give me a holler. I'm not too far away.
greg

Back