Big 'ol Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This was yesterday's big project. I should have snapped some more before pics. This Oak is in my back yard. Half dead with the dead side/limbs hanging over my fire pit. The other side hangs over my barn. It was leaning away from the barn but I'm pretty confident that when it came down, it was going to be on the barn. I rented a lift to get the bigger limbs down without hitting the barn. After that, it fell right where I wanted it to.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

A pic from the dead side. Roots broke right out of the ground!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Very little rotten wood in this tree. My FIL wants me to have the bottom 16' milled into boards. I don't really have much use for the boards right now. I think I'd rather have the BTUs...

I started to do some splitting today. It's a little stringy but splits pretty nicely. I counted rings in the stump and it was right around 100 years old. Kinda makes me feel bad about taking it down.....

I started to do some splitting today. It's a little stringy but splits pretty nicely. I counted rings in the stump and it was right around 100 years old. Kinda makes me feel bad about taking it down.....

I always wish I could watch time lapse footage and see what some of these old trees have seen.

Great looking tree and nice drop! :clap:

I've always wondered what the value of something like this would be in lumber compared to firewood. I've always assumed that good clear oak (or a number of other preferred hardwoods...) has more value as lumber than firewood, but really don't know.

Anyone?

I think it depends upon the situation that you are in, of course. If you were to pay someone to mill boards for you and then try to sell them, I think you may as well just split it up for fire wood. If you have your own mill, it will probably pay off. The big thing is you have to have a market for it. Lots of demand for split, seasoned, fire wood. Hardwood boards? Not a lot of guys around here that would be interested.

For what it's worth. I'm not sure how tree buyers come up with their figures, but 4 years ago a buddy of mine sold 50 red oak trees for $40 per tree. These were roughly 36-42" inches across. He also sold 35 black walnut trees for $200 each. They were 30-40" inches across. Although he thought the price seemed low, he had them removed to improve his woodlot.

That is a big old oak. If that's an X27, there should be 3 or 4 cords there.

That is a big old oak. If that's an X27, there should be 3 or 4 cords there.

Both of the above posts solidify my thoughts... While $40 seems very low, even if it was $200 per tree if there is 3 cord there that's easily $450 around here for split and seasoned fire wood. Don't get me wrong, I could find something to do with the boards but 3 cord will keep me burning all winter. That equates to a savings of about $2000 in propane!

Nice one! Milk that thing out, cut small, little cleanup then and plenty of fun small saw trigger time and more wood in the stack!

Latest posts

Back