Big old Homelite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm not mistaken, that tractor was built by Jacobsen. A sister division of Homelite under Textron corp, once located in Racine Wi. In 1980 they were rolled together with Homelite in NC. Most likely corresponds to Jake models GT-12 through GT-16, depending on engine size. Tractor grill looks correct for early GT series.

Kohler engine, with bottom, pan, section of crankcase welded into frame. Any and all repairs are possible, but engine can't be robbed to power something else. Unless you can find another junk Kohler K-series single to stael the base from. Jake decks were well-made. Spindles probably OK, just need new bearings.

Frame is jig-welded round tubing, very strong. semi-flexible coupling on engine drives shaft to right angle gearbox ahead of rear axle, belt clutch. Rear gear is pretty standard Peerless on most. tough and durable. As far as governor not working, could be as simple as linkage, or as complex as grenaded mechanical governor with shrapnel in motor. Kohlers are tough as nails, but not cheap to repair when they break.

If you're into GT resoration for fun, this is an excellent candidate, well-made, by a company known for solid tractors (Jacobsen). If youre just looking for a cheap lawnmower, well, good luck.

If I'm not mistaken, that tractor was built by Jacobsen. A sister division of Homelite under Textron corp, once located in Racine Wi. In 1980 they were rolled together with Homelite in NC. Most likely corresponds to Jake models GT-12 through GT-16, depending on engine size. Tractor grill looks correct for early GT series.

Kohler engine, with bottom, pan, section of crankcase welded into frame. Any and all repairs are possible, but engine can't be robbed to power something else. Unless you can find another junk Kohler K-series single to stael the base from. Jake decks were well-made. Spindles probably OK, just need new bearings.

Frame is jig-welded round tubing, very strong. semi-flexible coupling on engine drives shaft to right angle gearbox ahead of rear axle, belt clutch. Rear gear is pretty standard Peerless on most. tough and durable. As far as governor not working, could be as simple as linkage, or as complex as grenaded mechanical governor with shrapnel in motor. Kohlers are tough as nails, but not cheap to repair when they break.

If you're into GT resoration for fun, this is an excellent candidate, well-made, by a company known for solid tractors (Jacobsen). If youre just looking for a cheap lawnmower, well, good luck.

you know your jacobsen units which is good to know

i was going to say the same jacobsen was homelites bigger equipment manufacture

just like the pumps got sold off to riverside pumps years later

if the mods want they can move this thread to here since i created it for that very reason

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=83361

You're all wrong. It's a 1984 Suzuki RM 125. Not a bad bike, but the Yamaha was better that year. :hmm3grin2orange:

Calvin: you know your jacobsen units which is good to know

I was parts and service guy for a regional distributor that sold them back in the early '80's.

Latest posts

Back