big old nasty air compressor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i just looked atan old nasty lookin ingersol-rand compressor trailer... The thing has a 3 cyl air cooled deutz diesal w/ 1445 hours and seeems to run well other than needing a nre muffler and the low oil pressure light stays on.

Do you think the light is on erroneously... oil level is good... I could bring a oil pressure meter maybe and double check it, though my sense is the problem is in the sensor or wiring etc....

the guy wanted 3k, but needs to move it and after I offerred 1K he said 1500...
I Am going to run an air spade w it.. He says it will run 2 jack hammers and maybe I'll run 2 air spades eventually. I'll bring the air spade next time Im go and work a tree to check pressure... Some of the guages don't work and this thing is ugly... big and ugly...

I Am inclined to give him the 1500... your thoughts and expert opinions are appreciuated...
Thanks..

Install a good mechanical oil pressure gauge. Don't operate it until you get the oil pressure baseline. You can find out what the normal oil pressure is supposed to be at idle.

It the pressure is low get the bottom end and oil pump replaced. But you might have more damage than that too.

Make sure the wire is making a good connection on the oil sending unit. I have a 3 cylinder deutz on an atlas copco compressor and and it kept shutting down with the oil light on. I found a loose wire on the oil sender tightened it and kept the light out and the compressor running. 1500 hours is low hours for that deutz. I have 3000 on mine and it runs like a champ and uses very little oil. I just did as the deutz manual recommends had the injectors rebuilt and injection pump checked out and it tested like new. Cross my fingers for another 3000 hours.

Last edited:
eric_271 said:
Make sure the wire is making a good connection on the oil sending unit.

This can be a major problem. We have a combine that rarely carries oil pressure. The connection to the sending unit is the problem. I do have to admit it is quite unnerving to look down at teh oil pressure gauge but after fighting it for several years you live with it.

Bill

Make sure the compressor isn't leaking any fluid. Some fluid in the lines dosen't matter whne you're running a jackhammer, but it can be a problem if you're running an air knife. You don't want to inoculate the the root crown with compressor fluid!

Murphy I thought you might want to know that the muffler will cost some where between $400.00 and $600.00 dollers. Deutz are real proud of their parts and it is not easy to replace it with something different because of the manifold hookup. If that is a true 1400 hours at $1500 it is a good price. $3000.00 is more like what they sell for with those kind of hours unless it has been poorly maintained. As for oil in the air lines, the only time that happens is when the oil separator needs to be changed. If it needs one you should be able to get one for $150.00 but could be as much as $350.00 if you dont shop around enough. To check that crack an air valve and hold your hand in front of the air for 15 or 20 seconds. If your hand is dry when you pull it away its ok. If you have any oil on your hand it needs to be changed.

Back