Big saws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 2 3120's were mostly for flushing stumps or cutting up sticks after they were layed over. but there has been about a dozen times that i have used them in a tree chunking down big sticks with a 36in bar on it. after spending 4 or 5 hours in a big removal i'll use the biggest saw i could handle to get my feet back on the ground quicker.

jps
the times that i did it. i was on big sticks that i was unable to dump. they had to be pieced down and pushed off. i mean wood that i had a hard time passing a 36in bar through. i prefered to stay in one place on a big stick than try to walk a saw around it. i just prefer big saws with short bars. they cut quicker and i feel they give me more control on cuts. i've only hauled a 3120 up a tree on the rare occasion. but my main tree wood saw was a 394 with a 32in bar. i felt i could handle the saw fine and just skip over the mid size saws when in a tree. no need to mess with those little guys. when i started climbing for a guy last winter and told him to tie on the 066 he looked at me like i was nuts. but climbing is all about what ever your comfortable with.

kf,

Those are some very large saws for climbing saw's but if I were a climber thats probally what I would use also :D

Later Rob.....

Rob, what do you climb with???and please don't tell me that 029 of yours:cool:

Last edited:
I know alot of people don't like them but I climb with my 009 Stihl when I do the climbing,and occasionally the 44 mag..Maybe I'll try my 385 someday..

I bought my 009 about 7-8 years ago I don't think I paid 450 for it back then though..It's a good saw for what I use it for ..

Later Rob...

Taking down a big Red Oak one day, a retired logger had been watching the whole thing. Got to dropping the spar, pulled the 064 w/36" bar out of the truck. He liked to have had a stroke on the spot. Said that nobody in their right mind would lug one of those around allday. All they ever used was 044 w/25" bars. He is probably right, I don't like to have to walk to far with just a 064 couldn't imagine lugging around a 088 through the woods.

palmer

palmer,

The 064av in my eyes is a excellent saw for felling etc..I have had mine for close to 10 yrs now and have rebuilt it twice it runs a 32" bar it has been a very good saw for me.How do you like your's??

Later Rob..

Stihl Magnum, I love the 064, we sometimes put a 25" bar on it and cut circles around our 039. It is a good saw, just dread starting it when it is cold.

Palmer

big saws

where I work we get some big maples and oaks, we use a Poulan 655 with a 36 inch bar, and and Stihl 088 with a 48 inch bar, the Stihl is far more superior but lug that thing for one day and you need a vacation. palmer, I have run the 039, I think anything will run circles around it, not one of Stihl's better saws (IMO)

i really like my 046 w/20'' for most felling and my 066G w/28-36'' bar and full comp.

big enough

I considered a 084 or 088 earlier in the year, but after studying this site enough and a few e-mails to experts, considering cost, weight, horsepower and matching them to my finances, weight, and cutting needs I found the 066 would fill my needs very well and it has......I wouldn't consider anything heavier or more expensive .....keep a sharp chain on it and it will cut all you need to cut:)

BIG CHAINSAWS

A few months back, I bought my first truly sizeable saw.

Until then, the largest was a Stihl MS390.

This latest is the Husqvarna 385XP.

Last tree to use it on was a 40" diameter Red Maple .

The 385XP was very comfortable, and cut well.

One week after I bought it, I was really nagged in my mind over whether I should have dished out $150 to $300 more for one of the 2 larger models.

But another experienced arborist that assists me said the 385XP was plenty of saw. And he has one model up.

In Portland, Oregon, trees that exceed 40" are usually softer wood like Douglas Fir, Cedar, Sequoia.

If I do go larger, it will be the biggest - why not? For me it will only be to dissect. And a 5 to 7 pound weight difference is not bad for a periodic use saw.

Since I still can handle moving a bag of concrete, or manipulating 200 lb rocks on the ground, I may as well cut with a grin for a few more years.

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist
M. D. Vaden - Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon:D

yes, even the 046 is plenty of saw for down south..... but on the other hand the 066 and 088 are even more fun to blast through hardwoods with:D :jester:

After a few bouts with 'tennis elbow' my mid size saws get used a lot more. I still use a big saw for big cuts but a 3.0-3.5 cid class saw is a lot less painful for limbing and cutting all the sub 18" diameter stuff. A 3.5 cid saw with 20" bar is all the saw I want to take into a tree.

M.D. ,

I too have a 385XP and personally I love this saw it has enough power to pull a 32" bar and chain through some of the 30"+ Oaks,Maples,Cedar etc. without and difficulty what so ever,I also have recently bought a 3120XPG from a friend and I also like this saw for the big stuff but this thing weighs a ton and I really don't like lugging it around with me all day so therefore I find myself doing almost all my work with the 385XP....

I agree with J.P.S on this one..

Later Rob...

Been packing my 460Stihl all summer now that its cool and we moved to agood tract of timber, 30"+ pine so i drug out my 66 s,like a difference between daylight and dark compared to my 460s love em when its cool and in the right stuff.

Latest posts

Back