How long do you actually run a saw in a day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron H

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I work in an area closely related to forestry and we are having some problems with carpal tunnel syndrome in our workforce. Like rapid onset and progression type problems. So I am curious to ask other professionals who run a chainsaw all day every day, how long do you actually run them in a day? When I say running I'm actually talking full throttle cutting. Like, what percent of the time are you actively holding down the trigger.

Hi all, new here. I work in an area closely related to forestry and we are having some problems with carpal tunnel syndrome in our workforce. Like rapid onset and progression type problems. So I am curious to ask other professionals who run a chainsaw all day every day, how long do you actually run them in a day? When I say running I'm actually talking full throttle cutting. Like, what percent of the time are you actively holding down the trigger.
Well, what saws are you running? There are many that vibrate too much and newer ones that are way smoother. I updated for newer models that vibrate less.

Well, what saws are you running? There are many that vibrate too much and newer ones that are way smoother. I updated for newer models that vibrate less.
Mostly brand new MS261s but if our main crew is on site for 8 hours, they're probably full bore 5-6 of those hours.

They do make gloves specifically for running tools that vibrate. I've worked in assembly plants that utilized pneumatic impacts at some of the assembly stations. When your driving 3,000 to 5,000 fasteners a day, it's a serious issue. I don't recall exactly what gloves they used, but it made a big difference for the operators. I'd assume that they would work well with chainsaws also. Personally, I generally wear Atlas rubber dipped knit gloves when I'm running a saw. They don't do worth a darn on briars, but I love them for handling firewood and they last forever. It does seem like they help a little with vibration compared to no gloves at all. If I were running the saw 4hrs to 6hrs a day, I'd invest in the best anti-vibe gloves I could find. When I was young, I was "tough" and didn't need stuff like that. Now I'm older, and I physically regret the ignorance of my youth.

It helps to have a few sizes of saw to hand with different weights, but obviously this is harder if you are felling on foot. I can only do a few hours with a >75 cc saw but can last all day with a <50cc saw.

No way of knowing. Depends on the material and volume, time of year, details of the job, etc.

Could only run saw for an hour, could run for 6+ hours on a 10-12 hour summer day.

Are they staying sharp and keeping depths set properly? Checking bolts (muffler, cylinder, handlebar, and a/v mounts?)

Do yall get a break to refuel and do maintenance? Or does someone just hand you a freshened saw and you keep going?

I can run my saw for hours, it's heavy and does the work for me, I just balance it with the one hand.

I ran one for a couple months professionally, 6 hours a day. It was my left hand that had troubles. That was running ancient Macs. I still get the night time numb hand if I run a saw. It goes away except if I've played fiddle for an extra long time then the night time numb hand appears again.

Oh, we were thinning and cleaning up after a logging operation had creamed an area. We worked until the snow melted enough to return to cruising and marking. Six hours is the maximum time allowed (state rules) for falling and I guess we were "falling" although it was saplings and poles. Employers usually expect 6 hours of cutting to occur.

I do not know any cure other than not running a saw, some people go to the doctor and get surgery. Gloves? The SW Warshington timber fallers favored wearing some cotton knit gloves but I noticed no relief when wearing them.

I've run a saw for over 20 years, and as an everyday part of my job for about 5, in addition to other manual labor. Never had a problem until I did that job. The reason I ask is because there may be an opportunity to make some quality kf life chamges and I'm wondering how that work stacks up to other professionals. What I'm getting is, it's not unheard of but it's on the intense end.

I have been pondering this. One possible action would be to consult a physical therapist. They would have stretches and exercises to help and maybe even some changes that could be made.

My question is if you have a death grip on your saw? I remember the first week of thinning was hell. I'd never run a saw other than to cut firewood and in a logging competition. I wasn't relaxing and that took a big toll on my back. I'd have to kind of crawl out of bed in the morning. You have to get comfortable with the saw and pace yourself. That's kind of the way of working in the woods doing anything--pace yourself.

There are little tweakings that can be made, like resting the saw in the thigh while cutting a tree. I'm thinking that gripping too hard with the left hand is problematic. Maybe doing some hand exercises/stretches at each refilling of fuel might help? One guy I know would wear padded bicycle gloves under his work gloves.

The last few years I worked, I'd only run a saw if we had a storm knock down trees on roads. I'd cut blowdown along with the road crew. My left hand would again go numb during the night, and we were using the 440s, not old boat anchor saws. So much for the anti-vibration technology.

Good luck.

I got some cheap anti-vibe gloves for riding my dirt bike. They help me a lot.

But once you have that kind of injury starting, you most likely need at least a Physical Therapist to reduce it. I have bad right elbow tendonitis from my days as auditing construction records. I have changed my computer mouse to my left hand, but my right elbow aches many days. I didn't get professional help.

I have had problems with both Achilles Tendons, if I follow the stretching plan daily, I am just fine, even when I have long days on a fire line. Took a couple of months of physical therapy to get to this point.

440 is by far my favorite obsolete saw. More hours on that model than any three others. Never had any issues with the A/V even on long days on the fireline.
I ran one to take my first bucking certification test. After that, I wanted one. They weighed about the same as Old Sparkless but just ran smoother. I got one for me, marked down as a major dealer was getting rid of them. Rumor was that they had boxes and boxes of 440s and had to make room for the 441s. We bought one (Twinkle) for work too. Kinda got a lecture about that but it was an act now apologize later thing and the guy who wasn't happy didn't understand much about saws. He told us to get a small saw and we reasoned that a 440 was kind of small. Anyway, it was, as a logger used to say, Justright.

My hands were messed up by earlier stuff--thinning with an old saw, bicycle riding, squeezing a paint gun, etc.

Back