Big, self propelled grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally Stumped

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My work is taking me into the piney woods north of Houston and I'd like to know the scope of work that can and cannot be done with a big grinder. Anyone using a Rayco RG85, Hurricane or other?
Would a bigger grinder work on the occasional brush pile? Micro logging is big here-how about logging slash? If they grind at least 24" down, I could do some site prep (no basements in Texas just slab on grade construction).
Any other uses or ideas?
Thanks.

It has been my experience that if the object you want to grind is not firmly imbedded in the ground or is very heavy, it is very dangerous to put a big grinder to it. I once saw a Rayco Jr. size grinder flip over when the operator was grinding a log laying on the ground. Once the log got light enough the cutter wheel pulled it under itself, lifting the tires off the ground and flipping it on its side. A big grinder would have moved that log a lot earlier, I think.

I had an idiot supervisor drag a large oak stump, rootwad and all thru town and drop it off at a park and asked me to grind it. That was thhe day I toldhim to piss up a rope.East coast guys, go figure. :)

Latest posts

Back