Big trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have four very old cottonwoods on my 15 acres, most of which I have involved in a reforestation project. The cottonwoods are well over 100 feet tall, and have been badly storm damaged over the years.

In reading other threads here, I see that some people feel the cottonwoods are bad for getting too big and dropping wood from great heights. These trees certainly do that. I have considered taking them down, but.... I like the raccoon and owl habitat they provide. They are creating problems for nice oaks and white pines trying to grow below them, however.

I have to admit that there is really no way to drop them without damaging a lot of trees, and I also admit that the idea of cutting one of them down is pretty terrifying, from a personal safety point of view.

My question is this: Do you feel the tulip poplar is in the same category? How about the sycamore?

I currently have no sycamores, but consider planting some. I do have about 40 tulip poplars.

Is there any other species that you feel is like the cottonwood, for danger?

It sounds like there isnt any huge issue with the shedding/breakout of Poplus at your place, unless it is a high use area where they are located. And I really only find them truly "dangerous" when cutting them. Don't know much about the weather in the midwest but yellow "poplar" and sweetgums can be kind of weak in the limb area. Plant more Locust..

When I first moved here in 1978 there were some black locusts. They seed themselvese like weeds, and are extremely difficult to control. I finally have been almost successful in getting rid of them.

I do not know what particular species of locust you are imagining.

I have a preference for Honey locusts. Hav'nt dealt with to many black locust, though they sound hardy, I like thaT in a tree.

The black locusts are more than hardy, they spring up everywhere. Black locust has high heat yield for firewood, and is a bit like cutting cast iron, when you saw it. The chain actually makes sparks at times.

I have quite a few black walnut trees. I have planted about 6,000 trees here, about five acres were planted 22 years ago and another nine acres were planted in 1994, with some replanting some years later.

Local foresters suggested to not overplant black walnut, as its value was not as high as it once was, and tended to emphasize red oak. I have planted white and scotch pines, now regretting ever having planted the scotches. Also several kinds of spruces. Hardwoods include the black walnut, red oak, bur oak, shagbark hickory, swamp white oak, shingle oak, butternut, green ash [which I wish I had not planted....], and sugar maple. I have also planted a row of buckeyes from seed, they are slow, and only about 24 inches tall after four years or so.

I have even transplanted cottonwoods here, and also put some cottonwoods in during the big planting. By some, I mean about twenty. My big cottonwoods have been hosts to great horned owls and also lots of raccoons, which are all great fun. I just hate the fact that they are going to fall on my growing trees. Maybe that is the way of the forest, but it is still hard to watch.

Sounds nice, and I dont know that Black walnut will ever be anything but a good investment but maybe not. what kind of rotation are you looking at or is this for planting sales?

Originally posted by wiley_p
What kind of rotation are you looking at or is this for planting sales?

I had hoped to sell some nursery stock, but it seems that is very difficult. People are not willing to pay for a tree that has been moved with a spade to their place, it ends up being too expensive.

I don't know what you mean by rotation.

Tuliptrees' weak branching reputation is exaggerated. Your big cottonwwods can be pruned to lessen damage, but costs.

Training young trees for good form essential for lasting value is a must, as is mulching rootzones. See www.treesaregood.com, and find an arborist to get on site and advise on mtc.

No more so than a poplus Guy. I think if there is no target then who cares the strentgh of branch attachments? Like I said the only time I find Cottonwood to be a problem is when I am asked to cut it in less thsan ideal conditons.

your black locust spring up everywhere because the shoot new trees off the parent root system. there is a word for this type of tree reproduction that i am too lazy to look up at the moment.
as for your cottonwoods, why cut them down. if they are part of a reforestation project let them go like forest trees...ie nature takes its course. if they will hurt somebody by their presence then yes removal is the answer. it is really tough call with out seeing them.

aboromega, the only reason I consider taking them down is that when they fall, the destruction will be breathtaking, and also they are stunting some better trees that are rising beneath them.

I realize they may outlast me. Also, they are good habitat for raccoons and owls....

One of the most wonderful sounds of Summer (besides a Rainbow trout stream at 8,500 feet) are the cottonwood leaves flipping around from gentle prarie breezes along a streambed alongside the Missouri Valley, in South Dakota. A naked native woman filling the water bags knee-deep out in the stream, and me in a hammock in the shade of those trees w/ a stalk of blue-stem in my mouth, thinking about supper - which would be a filet of Rainbow, fried in butter, by the native woman.

(From a transplant Texan about to enter the dog days of SUMMER and 600 acres to selectively cut and burn)

My very first commercial tree-job were two giant cottons in Lincoln, Iowa. I had two David Bradleys and one finger sewn back on after a well drilling accident...the middle finger, bandaged-up and forever flipping the bird. 350 feet of 1-inch manila rope and spikes minus the belt (more manila). No one to help - the whole town worked for the well driller, who was drilling state-wide leaving me to heal alone.

Only busted an ancient clothesline pole and my finger...again.

Ah youth. Sure miss it.

Latest posts

Back